CARBING A COMP BOTTLE

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moog

BIAB-ER
Reaction score
I'm thinking of entering some beers into a beer comp.
I'll need to fill plastic bottles from a keg, I have one of those disconnect caps, so I can get it in under keg pressure,
however, when I take the cap off and replace it with the screw top, the pressure is released and I'm left with just the gas in the beer.
I think it might not be enough and may leave the beer under carbed.

Should I connect the gas up to the bottle and force carb a bit, before swopping the lid?
Should I chill the bottle right down, then force carb a bit?
Should I chill the keg right down before doing the transfer?

What do you experienced comp entrants do to ensure good carbonation?

All of the above that you mentioned is thoughtful. I have fussed with it but.
Chilling the beer as cold as you can and a tad overcarbed before transfer got me a 5th in a comp lately. As doing it in a PET bottle. Then again I'm not a seasoned competitor but I do bottle my Draught beer.
I only do it with my selected beers that have conditioned in the keg and are worth bottling.
Its about testing it yourself. Its Craft Beer. :chug:

I did this for the first time recently, shook up PET bottles to carb for 30s at 30psi and left for an hour in the fridge at 0 before swapping over caps. Carbonation across the 4 bottles was fine for an ale when sampled 24hrs later.

I've just picked up a carb cap today, probably some trial an error.

I plan to fill a bottle, swap the cap and leave it at room temp for a week or two, open and see what the carbonation is like.

My $0.02

Youre over thinking it. If youre brew is carbed appropriately when you pour from the keg and youre counter pressure filling. The tiny amount of head space you leave that the beer will vent and equalise pressure into, will make SFA difference.

Judging will pick bigger faults with your beer than a difference between 2.8 and 2.7 vols of CO2

Latest posts

Back