Caramelizing Runnings For A Scottish 80.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70

Le roi est mort..
Reaction score
Is there a reliable way of finding the sweet spot (pardon atrocious pun) when caramelising runnings? I'd like to get those toffee / butterscotch notes without it winding up all cloying and sickly sweet. Would three litres be enough for a 20 litre batch?

cheers.

Three litres should be fine. FWFW, I've found the process is a little bit hit and miss as it isn't a 100% reliable character that is developed, but certainly worthwhile doing as something different.

I caramelised 3 litres of wort for a 20 litre batch of Scotch Ale and found it to be just slightly too sweet. So I certainly wouldnt go more than three litres.

But others who tried it said it was spot on. I suppose its up to the individuals own taste.

Its certainly improving with age though and is much better after 2 months in the bottle.

Yes, you've got it.
The end point is a hot gooey mess in the second pot, avoiding burning it is the main thing. A Useful discussion.

Good linky.

I'll be reducing mine in the main kettle then adding the rest of the wort. Saves the dogs the trouble of having to lick the pot clean when I inevitably burn it.

Latest posts

Back