Caramel In A Brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballantynebrew

Reaction score
Hi fellas
I have a good mate of mine who came across about 1kg of Caramel, its the same stuff They use at maccas. could a bit of it be used for a brew?
Cheers

If its the same stuff they use at maccas it would have so many chemicals and preservatives in it that your brew would probably grow arms and legs and run off.... Also from what I've read using simple sugars in your beer can stress the yeast if you use too much and impart off flavours and cidery flavours. You could probably use caramalt if you want a caramel flavour in your brew, one of the grain brewers will probably chime in in a second to let you know if that's correct or not.....

You could always just do an English Ale or similar and aim to have Diacetyl in your beer.

Butterscotch flavours over caramel. Adding Maccas topping to your beer would be a big gamble and I wouldn't risk wasting good beer.

I'm with Paulielow, research some different grains which can add caramally flavours. (Not sure if Caramally is even a word but you get what I mean) ;)

Try Crystal Malt if you want a caramel flavour/colour in your beer. Tip the McDonalds Caramel powder (is it powder?) down the drain to feed the roaches.

Does it have a list of ingredients? Hard to say much without knowing what it actually is.
If you're 'desperate' to use it in brewing, try adding a little to a poured beer to see what happens.

Gut instinct says that this was manufactured to help teenagers make quick and sweet Frappes and is not going to be a winner in a beer but you never know I suppose. If it were 'real' Caramel, it'd have cream in it, which really isn't going to work.

thought as much, might have to give it to the women in the house

cheers for the conformation

129013417124228149.jpg

Hi fellas
I have a good mate of mine who came across about 1kg of Caramel, its the same stuff They use at maccas. could a bit of it be used for a brew?
Cheers

The posts above are right it's probably so Choc'o block full of preservatives the yeast may not be able to ferment properly but if I had a 1kg and maccas caramal and a spare fermentor id be happy to waste $20 on a tin of hopped goo and a pack of yeast.

Mc'Southern English Brown......

Only way to know is to try it.

Back