Carafa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wreck

Reaction score
Has anyone used Carafa? I'm curious what it's like and how it compares to choc or black malt?

Thanks,
Wreck.

Wreck,

Carafa is dehusked and a lot more mellow in flavour than regular Choc, Roast Barley or Black Patent.

I usually like to throw in a small amount during the mashout/sparge to darken the colour of some beers with minimal flavour contribution.

Can recommend it if you don' t like overly-roasty stouts etc.

Warren -

not 100% correct, Warren

Carafa Special malts are dehusked/debittered

Carafa/Cspecial I is a choc malt equivalent
Carafa/Cspecial III is a black malt equivalent

Jovial Monk

Actually Carafa is NOT dehusked - you need to get the CARAFA SPECIAL to get the dehusked variety, and yes it is a more mellow black/roasted/patent malt. We have both types available.

Keep an eye out for the new Malt Craft malt - "Chocolate Chit Malt" or more commonly called "Choc Chit". This roasted chitted malt (ie the acrospire has just emerged from the husk in the germination phase of malting) has a more mellow flavour not unlike the Carafa Special. Colour is 800 EBC.

Wes.

it would be nice if we had kilncoffee malt here, Wes

if you want to get just one sack I will buy it

Jovial Monk

JM, Kilncoffee is a Belgian pale chocolate of about 450 EBC. Have you tried the TF Pale Chocolate? This is around 500 EBC and is described as giving a "smooth coffee flavour". I like it especially in a dark porter.

Wes.

Thanks guys.

I was thinking of using some for a Belgian Strong Dark Ale. Maybe some cara-aroma as well.

Wreck.

Wreck,

I've used both in a Belgian Strong Ale. They work well. :)

The beer even managed first prize in the Belgain spec. category at VicBrew 2002.

Oh, and G'day Wes, long time no hear. Missed your postings on Oz CB. :(

Warren -

Hi Warren, going to be at Mountain Goat tomorrow night for the monthly knees up if your around.

Wes.

Wes,

Making the voyage down South eh? Never been to the Goat guzzle. Most definitely on the to-do list. Unfortunately I'm entertaining tomorrow night. :(

Have a Hightail for me would ya. :chug:

Warren

TF make a kilncoffee lookalike? Cool will order a sack next grain order.

What about Belg Caravienne? Belg Aromatic and Belg biscuit?

Jovial Monk

wessmith said:
JM, Kilncoffee is a Belgian pale chocolate of about 450 EBC. Have you tried the TF Pale Chocolate? This is around 500 EBC and is described as giving a "smooth coffee flavour". I like it especially in a dark porter.

Wes.
I used TF Pale Choc Malt and Carafa Special in my Trough Lolly Porter - very nice roasted coffee flavours although I think I overdid it with 250g! A cold version of my Gaggia expresso's!!

Sort of "exam strength" beer:D

Cheers,
TL

Back