Carabohemian Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJH

Reaction score
Hi, Iam looking to find a substitute for carabohemian malt I have looked at substitute charts but it,s not mentioned I cant find any thing on line has anyone used this malt. I am going to do a Dr Smertos golden ale and it mentioned Carabohemian and I would like to be as close as possible to the real thing .

Just order Cara Bohemian, my local stocks it and I can guarantee you it has a pretty unique flavour.
First time I tasted it I thought Schwartz beer, full of bready biscuit and dark toffee flavours, very different to most crystal malts of similar colour.
Mark

Beat me to it :)

And if you can't get Crystal 80 just use about 75% Dark Crystal [90] and 25% light crystal.[40]
Depending on the colour of Crystal you have - might need more or less.
Just order Cara Bohemian, my local stocks it and I can guarantee you it has a pretty unique flavour.
First time I tasted it I thought Schwartz beer, full of bready biscuit and dark toffee flavours, very different to most crystal malts of similar colour.
Mark
Thanks altone that sounds good, Thanks for your reply MBH but I recon freight might be a killer +

Like @MHB says the Carabohemian does taste different to Crystal but it's a reasonable alternative.
Actually the Dr Smurtos I used to make didn't have Carabohemian, but mainly Pilsner Wheat Munich and some Caramunich iirc

Like @MHB says the Carabohemian does taste different to Crystal but it's a reasonable alternative.
Actually the Dr Smurtos I used to make didn't have Carabohemian, but mainly Pilsner Wheat Munich and some Caramunich iirc
Thanks altone, it seems there is that many variations I could use any thing and not get it wrong, I have been going over the different recipes on this site I did,nt relies there where so many.

Back