Cara-pils Malt (dextrin)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jameson

Reaction score
Hi all on Monday I knocked of a brew on my New rig. What has me puzzled is the carapils malt (dextrin). I went in to a home brew shop and asked for 500g. I was given pilsner malt is this it? After the mayhem of yesterday I am going back through the recipe and planing the next. But as I look a bit more in to this malt I am thinking caramalt is the one I should of used? Is carapils a us thing and called different here? Sorry for the noob question I have researched but still none the wiser.
Thanks Jameson

Hi all on Monday I knocked of a brew on my New rig. What has me puzzled is the carapils malt (dextrin). I went in to a home brew shop and asked for 500g. I was given pilsner malt is this it? After the mayhem of yesterday I am going back through the recipe and planing the next. But as I look a bit more in to this malt I am thinking caramalt is the one I should of used? Is carapils a us thing and called different here? Sorry for the noob question I have researched but still none the wiser.
Thanks Jameson

Definitely it is something different, if they sold you just plain pilsner, then you have not added the body and mouthfeel that the carapils was going to give you.

Thanks Jameson

All 3 are different. have a look in the grain section in one of the sponsors above.

edit there are heaps of caramalts too.

All 3 are different. have a look in the grain section in one of the sponsors above.

edit there are heaps of caramalts too.
Just found it in craftbrewer after a second look. Think I shall be adding some to my shopping list. Does it make much of a difference? Only asking as I have a double just starting to bubble.

They are different Jimmy. Heres some info lifted straight from wiki- Mash ingredients

Crystal malts are prepared separately from pale malts. They are high-nitrogen malts that are wetted and roasted in a rotating drum before kilning. They produce strongly sweet toffee-like flavors and are sufficiently converted that they can be steeped without mashing to extract their flavor. Crystal malts are available in a range of colors, with darker-colored crystal malts; that is, those kilned at higher temperatures, producing stronger, more caramel-like overtones. Some of the sugars in crystal malts caramelize during kilning and become unfermentable; hence, addition of crystal malt will increase the final sweetness of a beer. They contain no enzymes. ASBC 50-165/EBC 90-320; the typical British crystal malt used in pale ale and bitter is around ASBC 70-80.

Pilsner malt, the basis of pale lager, is quite pale and strongly flavored. Invented in the 1840s, Pilsner malt is the lightest-colored generally-available malt, and also carries a strong, sweet malt flavor. Usually a pale lager's grain bill consists entirely of this malt, which has enough enzymatic power to be used as a base malt. The commercial desirability of light-colored beers has also led to some British brewers adopting Pilsner malt (sometimes described simply as "lager malt" in Britain) in creating golden ales. In Germany, Pilsner malt is also used in some interpretations of the Klsch style. ASBC 1-2/EBC 3-4, DP 60 Lintner.

Daz

Carapils or carafoam is also use to improve head retention without adding the colour that darker crystal malts do.

CaraPils is a Registered Trademark of Weyermann in Germany.
It's also called carafoam and in translated German: Caramel Malz Pils.

Thanks everyone I now have a better understanding for its use and where it falls into in my own little grain group. :)

Back