Caps for Screw Top Long Necks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarrenTheDrunk

Reaction score
Last question for now. Can I buy screw caps for the modern stubbies and long necks. If I could, I far prefer glass but albeit not significant, have the off bottle that does not seal properly with the Crown Seal Caps. The ultimate would be caps that suit these bottles.

Cheers and Beers

darren

Sorry Darren get rid of screw tops they fail in the end. Crown bottles the way to go. Did the same as you srew tops start with and crown tops. The screw tops start to leak. Get hold of coopers long necks if possible.

There's two types of glass beer bottle designs, single use and reusable, not all crown seal are reusable, and NO! screw cap are.
Coopers crown seal are designed to be reusable, just weigh the bloody things.
Single use are thinner, more fragile and allow greater gas transmission, yes glass is permeable to gas (oxygen).
Swing tops are a different issue.
For the ultimate in bottling get champagne bottles, a tirage bell for your capper, and tirage caps, BOOM! maximum pressure (if that's your thing) maximum glass thickness (O2 transmission) and maximum storage time/problems, although there is something special about dusting off a 3yr old bottle.
fwiw my wife supplies all my champagne bottles, and for a small consideration (you pay for the full ones and she supplies the empties) I would be happy to divert the supply chain for a while. 🤣
btw I thought you were kegging DD?

found this thread while researching re-use of screw caps.

looks like these triage cappers are cheap and readily available. (several au and ebay links below)

Anyone know which cap sizes the big W bench capper is compatible with?
https://www.bigw.com.au/product/brigalow-home-brew-super-bench-capper/p/3341452/
I'm going through a phase of Kombucha brewing. Actually came here to find out if screw caps bottles are suitable for reuse to brew kombucha.

https://beerco.com.au/products/bell-capper-spare-bell-29mmhttps://mysliceoflife.com.au/product/29-31mm-tirage-capper-bell/https://www.brewcraft.com.au/product/capper-bell-29mm-tiragehttps://beerco.com.au/products/bell-capper-spare-bell-29mmhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/29-31mm-Ca...ps-Super-Automatica-Bench-Capper/152887982289https://www.ebay.com/itm/Capper-Bel...als-Tirage-bottle-caps-home-brew/284089737864
There's two types of glass beer bottle designs, single use and reusable, not all crown seal are reusable, and NO! screw cap are.
Single use are thinner, more fragile and allow greater gas transmission, yes glass is permeable to gas (oxygen).
For the ultimate in bottling get champagne bottles, a tirage bell for your capper, and tirage caps, BOOM! maximum pressure (if that's your thing) maximum glass thickness (O2 transmission) and maximum storage time/problems, although there is something special about dusting off a 3yr old bottle.
fwiw my wife supplies all my champagne bottles, and for a small consideration (you pay for the full ones and she supplies the empties) I would be happy to divert the supply chain for a while. 🤣

If you want to use screw caps, then go with PET bottles from the homebrew shop and use those.

If you want glass bottles, don't use screw tops and don't use single use stubbies you recycle from your slabs. I used a bench capper when I first started, and the first time you crush the next and a bottle explodes with glass fragments all over the place because the bottle gives out you rethink using them.

Just my opinion.

Coopers cover their arse though, they stamp their bottles "do not refill"
I still use them though
I also have a good collection of old bottles such as the ones marked "this bottle always remains the property of The NSW Bottling Company" and others such as the "Pickaxe" stamped ones
They are almost as heavy as the Coopers bottles
But hard to go past kegs

I've opened screw-tops after many years that have perfect seal. Only issue I ever had was a dodgey batch of caps from a company that should have had better quality control considering how many years they've been in the Australian homebrew market. Screwies are all I use and have done since cocky was an egg.

Hi Graeme. Hope you are well cobber. Yes I am kegging (14 now) but I sometimes bottle the bit I can not fit in to the keg. I think for now on, I will only brew 19 litres so will not have to worry about bottling

Yeh just plonking along thanks.
Ahhh, the old how to fit 23L into a 19L vessel conundrum, quite honestly because of all the faffing about setting up I only bottle special high gravity brews, Ris's, barley wines, Belgians, that sort of thing, and then it's usually a 10L brew which nets me 11 or 12 champagne bottles.
BUT! there's always a but, what happens to the 2L sometimes 3L that's left after a 23L kegged brew, well being a lazy bugger I just chuck it into Coopers PET bottles with a couple of carbonation drops, no sanitising (I store them sanitised in their cardboard boxes, a bit of starsan solution in them) dead simple, unscrew cap, empty, add 2 carb drops, fill, screw lid on and jobs done, chuck em in the ferment fridge @ 20c ish for a week or two then into the cool fridge, and I've got takeaways whenever I need them, I don't store them for long probably 3 months absolute max.
The bottles are cheap, the drops convenient, they weigh bugger all so carting a few around is no biggy, and your not throwing out good brew or coming up short on your keg fill (this happens when you think you can end up with exactly 19L lol)
Good to see you're getting a handle on it, although 14 kegs tends to indicate the bug has bitten pretty hard, been there done that. 🤣

ha ha. Yes, there certainly was a mis calculation in the brewing and my capacity to empty some kegs. Its the old "the older I get...the better I was" situation. My big drinking days (thankfully) are subsiding...well my liver thinks so anyway!!! After 7.5 years, my marriage\property settlement has happened and I keep my little 5 acre "ponderosa" so home brew beer and a bucket load of home grown fruit and veggies is the order of the day for this old chook. CBBE

After 7.5 years, my marriage\property settlement has happened and I keep my little 5 acre "ponderosa" so home brew beer and a bucket load of home grown fruit and veggies is the order of the day for this old chook. CBBE
That's really good to hear mate, having "been there done that" (TWICE!) I know just how stressful it can be, my first was an absolute nightmare, I basically walked out with the shirt on my back, she got the house, car (of her choice, we had 2) boat, motorbike, the lot, and still gave me grief about access to our son (eventually one day every two weeks, after thousands of dollars, and two years in the family court) thankfully the second was very amicable, sat down with a bottle of wine, agreed a fair split, and access to our son and daughter any time I wanted (week holidays, week-ends away etc) we filed the papers ourselves, waited 12 months, and job done, not a cent in legal fees, but the amount of family lawyers/solicitors that cold called her promising a "better deal" was ridiculous, how they got her contact details or knew we had filed for a divorce is a mystery, so much for "privacy rules" someone at that courthouse is on a nice little earner I suspect, and it's rather telling that she got literally dozens of calls (to the point of harassment) yet I didn't get a single one. Says a lot about our legal system, bloody ambulance chasers the lot of them.
5 acres is the perfect size I reckon, I'm on 4.97 :) big enough to have a bit of space but not so big as to be a full time job.
I put in a small orchard, apples (cider) stone fruit (melomels/preserves) grapevines (wine) and citrus (G&T's) I've also got 4 beehives for mead and pollination, it occurs to me that there's a theme here. 🤣
Vege's are old bath tubs up on bricks to waist height, converted to wicking beds (too old to be working at ground level)
Ducks, chooks, and quail take care of the protein side of things, did have a couple of lawnmower lambs but the wife (yeh I did it again, no brains lol) couldn't bare the thought of eating them so I gave them away once they got to munching weight.
Well that's enough of my life history, CONGRATULATIONS! :cheers:

Thanks Graeme. I will not say a thing about "3 times" and I must say, I love your reference about the lambs being "munching weight". I will use that. If I had a spare week, I would enlighten you about my experience with lawyers. I cracked the shits in the end and told my lawyer not to do anything until further notice. I contacted the ex, brokered a deal myself and now the lawyer can do the finalisation of contracts. Yes I love my place. The house is almost uninhabitable but I like it. I dont know what I am going to do with the property but I am getting sick of developers knocking on my door. The place is 1klm (crow fly) from a massive residential development, Woolworths etc where some of the blocks of land are only 300 sq metres and selling for $290,000. Bugger that. I get up in the morning, walk out on the deck and have a pee...problem is though the older I get, the greater the chance a magpie will think it is a meal worm and swoop !!! Maybe I should use the toilet. The other good thing about 5 acres is that is the max you can have to avoid Capital Gains Tax. It is still deemed your Principle Place of Residence. As the late Kerry Packer said during a senate inquiry... well I will leave it to you to watch the link. It is bloody priceless. A very intimidating man I have been told. This link is a very shortened version and you can look on you tube if you want to see more. Sadly, as an accountant, this stuff interests me which leads me conundrum...what do accountants use as contraceptives...their personalities.

Anyway, one should stop waffling. Great to hear from you mate

CBBE

Latest posts

Back