Capping Twist Top Long Neck?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchjazz

Reaction score
Arvo,

I have read many post's but still cant work it out? Many say with a bench top caper you can cap twist top bottles with it... I cant seem too. If i pull any harder im afraid I may break it ( :rolleyes: ). To be exact im using tooheys extra dry long necks with espree 23 caps. See pics. Hope some one can help!

photo_1.JPG

photo_2.JPG

All my bottles are twist tops (mostly hahn and boags bottles) and I only ever had a problem once. I always just used cheap woolies brand caps, and one batch seemed to be really stiff and I couldn't push them down, opened a new packet and had no issues.

You don't get the "click" sound/feel when capping them that you do with a crown seal bottle though.

push harder.. they are a bit harder to do than crownies

man up fella :lol:

Cheers mate all it took was some one to tell me to man the F$&# up. Went back out the shed pulled & conquered. Think i tore me peck though... Cheers again!

Twist tops bottles do not break that easy only problem is they may not twist off .Wetting the tops in hot water may help act as a lubricant .

I have a quality Italian two handled capper. I capped some twist top 750's of cider last year with 1 tsp of sugar in each bottle. They did eventually carbonate, but only very slightly.

Is that cause of the twist top bottles or a yeast issue can anyone tell me?

Or you could do what I did for years before I started kegging. Just screw the original screw caps back on again with a tea towel. Works a treat.

The twist tops are not as strong as the old round top ones and occasionally I break one.Maybe one in 2or 3 hundred.
Don't hold the neck of the bottle when capping or wear a heavy glove cause that's where they break.I just let it go and use 2 hands on the capper lever.The old round tops are like gold now,much better.
wombil.

Apart from comps where I use brown PETs, all my (occasional) bottled brews go into supermarket 1.25L pop bottles. Sold my bench capper last year.

I use swing tops for personal bottling. Just cbf dealing with bottle caps when I'm a kegger

Can hardly be arsed dealing with bottles... But am about to crack out the beer gun for the young Henry's comp so might as well fill some swingtops too!

I have a quality Italian two handled capper. I capped some twist top 750's of cider last year with 1 tsp of sugar in each bottle. They did eventually carbonate, but only very slightly.

Is that cause of the twist top bottles or a yeast issue can anyone tell me?
I have never had an issue with carbonation (except one brew where I under primed a brew), I use twist tops 99.9% of the time.

Does cider need more sugar to carb than beer? The only other thing I can think of is if you fermented at a higher temp, upwards of 25c and that would require more sugar than 18c.

The Cuntry Brewer caps are made of a slightly thicker guage material than the Coopers and Bluetongue caps. I bent the handle of my bench capper using the Country Brewer ones on twist tops but the Blue Tongue ones go on much easier.

Any of the online priming calculators will tell you how much sugar to use provided you know the highest post ferment temperature of your brew.

The Cuntry Brewer caps are made of a slightly thicker guage material than the Coopers and Bluetongue caps. I bent the handle of my bench capper using the Country Brewer ones on twist tops but the Blue Tongue ones go on much easier.

Any of the online priming calculators will tell you how much sugar to use provided you know the highest post ferment temperature of your brew.

There was a batch of them that were hard to put on (thicker) . Their usual caps are the same as other offerings as far as I can tell.

There was a batch of them that were hard to put on (thicker) . Their usual caps are the same as other offerings as far as I can tell.

Oh, O.K. I didn't know that. I might have to revisit Country Brewer caps when my 2000 odd Blue Tongue caps run out. :p

Latest posts

Back