Capping Old Twist Top Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bretto

Reaction score
hi
got my self one of those bench cappers the outher day as im planning to cap old twist top bottles.
i had a test run on an empty bottle and after i capped it , itwas like it was to loose.
the box it came in did say that would happen but the gas of the beer would tighten it up more.

can anyone give me some feed back on this please as i dont want to go and cap all my bottles and just waste them..
thank you. :party:

Bretto,
They will tighten up with no problems once the beer is carbonated. In fact in my experience they will be that tight that you will not be able to get them off with your bare hands.

:beer:
mothballs

mothballs

thank you for that! thats sounds pretty interesting. im just using the caps from the kit i got. is that ok <_<
Bretto

Bretto,

With twist top bottles I find the softer the cap the better the seal. Cheap caps are often good for this purpose because they can often be softer.

Shawn.

thanx shawn

go the knights. wish we could win at least one game.

bretto said:
thanx shawn

go the knights. wish we could win at least one game.
[post="64204"][/post]​

Hey, we were leading at halftime yesterday - that's almost as good as a win the way this season has been going :lol: :lol:

Good luck mate,

Shawn.

I use a superautomatica bench capper, and have never noticed a loose crown seal on a twist top.

Avoid the two handed cappers, they tend to squeeze the top of the bottle when capping, which can crack the twist top.

Yeah, avoid the other styles of cappers in general, but especially with twist tops... They break/chip very easily. I'm not sure if mine is a 'superautomatica' or not, 'cause I bought it in 1991 when I started brewing the first time around and have forgotten, but it is Australian made, does the job and I haven't had any dramas with capping twist top bottles with it. Hand cappers are just not worth it IMO. Spend the $50 or so and go the bench capper, use softish caps and you shouldn't have any dramas.

Shawn.

My experience backs up all of this.
I've been using twist tops for about 10 years and have never had a breakage while capping. 2 have exploded well into fermentation, but both were pre bulk-priming days. The twist tops are thinner glass, so I just use good quality bottles for beers that need to sit around for a while.
I use an ancient lever-style bench capper and have pretty much always used Woolies or Coles crown seals.
Like I said, never a problem while capping.

Agree with Bilph
I buy the cheapest caps I can find at the supermarket and have not had a cap problem in all of my 10 brews so far.

Cheers
Steve

pint of lager said:
I use a superautomatica bench capper, and have never noticed a loose crown seal on a twist top.

[post="64207"][/post]​

Same here , never had a problem with loose caps , in fact they are so tight I need an opener to get them off

Batz

Cast my vote for the Superautomatica too.

Mine's dirty & all beaten up but it still works well on its rare appearances these days.

They also have the flexibility of being able to fit a tirage bell in place of the normal one. This allows you to buy bigger caps and cap champagne bottles if you want.

Awesome presentation and safer higher carbonation choice for all the Belgian-heads out there. :)

Warren -

hi . thats allgood advise . i got a bench capper . but when the bottled is capped its loose. but i was told they will get tighter later. is that correct.,

Bilph said:
My experience backs up all of this.
I've been using twist tops for about 10 years and have never had a breakage while capping. 2 have exploded well into fermentation, but both were pre bulk-priming days. The twist tops are thinner glass, so I just use good quality bottles for beers that need to sit around for a while.
I use an ancient lever-style bench capper and have pretty much always used Woolies or Coles crown seals.
Like I said, never a problem while capping.
[post="64212"][/post]​

The only problem I ever had with explosions (in 18 years of brewing) was with Crown Lager bottles earlier this year.
I filled a few with a highly carbonated Belgian Wit and they blew about 3 weeks later.
Glass is very thin and shatters into hundreds of sharp slivers.
Rest of the batch in other bottles were ok but I was mighty nervous moving them around. :unsure:

bretto said:
hi . thats allgood advise . i got a bench capper . but when the bottled is capped its loose. but i was told they will get tighter later. is that correct.,
[post="64225"][/post]​

What type (brand) of bottles are they?
I used to bottle in all sorts of stubbies/longnecks and never found any loose ones with the superautomatica. Cheapy caps from K-mart or Big-W are ok. It might pay to pick up a spare bag or 2.

The caps seal on the slightly raised plastic ring on the inside of the cap (to the very top of bottle) and the sides where they contact thread only hold it on with friction.

If in doubt, fill the first bottle then turn it upside down and give it a good shake.
Any disolved CO2 will quickly come out of solution and generate enough pressure to show any leaks. If so try the second bag of caps.

thanks for that. ill just wait to i fill the first one and see how that goes.
ive got old tooheys long neck bottles and crownie stubbies.

i need heaps more. dont no where im going to get more :beerbang:

Jino on this forum said he knew of some locally available in a post a few days ago. Maybe PM him for the details. THe local HBS' usually have some as well.

Shawn.

Not that I've ever done it myself, but plenty of people suggest that bottles are readily available from recycling depots for a nominal fee.

Maybe able to pick them up from my local hb store. surely :chug:

talk to your local bottle shop owner. see if he will let you put an ad up looking for longnecks.

Back