Canned Beer 'Revolution'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mckenry said:
What I dont get about the 'I tasted aluminium' brigade, is I've never heard anyone say 'coke tastes like metal out of the can', or 'Coke is better from the bottle'. Why would beer be any different?
I say it all the time! I swear coke from a glass bottle shits all over cans and plastic, maybe it's just me though..

Not just you kh, I think it definitely tastes better from glass... Wonder if it's just psychosomatic?

krausenhaus said:
I say it all the time! I swear coke from a glass bottle shits all over cans and plastic, maybe it's just me though..
Wholeheartedly agree. Once poured into a glass though, there is little difference. glass>can>plastic.

On the Coopers brewery tour, the guide (bit of a legend we lovingly named 'Big Frank') told us he preferred Pale in a can (Dr Jim's) over the bottled variety. Apparently the different shape (can vs bottle) promotes some subtly different flavours during conditioning.

Add my vote for beer in cans tasting weird. Very limited choice though so I can only comment on my youthful experience of drinking VB, melbourne and CD from cans. Vic is the one I remember as the most obvious - Vic from cans tasted better (if only marginally) than VB in bottles but I always preferred Melbourne. I would describe it as a metallic sweetness. I'm sure there's a chemist at CUB with a pocket protector and a slide-rule that could tell us why.

Slide rules, when men were men and women were in the kitchen.

slide rules.jpg

I don't care what anyone says, beer from a can tastes different. In a bad way.

I will also add that I think coke from a glass bottle tastes markedly different from the can or plastic equivalent. I've never poured them into glasses and seen if the tastes changes again so i can't say more.

Although I'm definitely not against drinks in cans.

Al

Not against cans, though I prefer buying bottles so I can re use them. I am against shrinking the size of the cans.

I like the aesthetics of a bottle. But really it doesn't bother me, all commercial beer at home goes into a glass.

Bribie G said:
Slide rules, when men were men and women were in the kitchen.

attachicon.gif
slide rules.jpg
And there was an oversupply of draughtsman and engineers, apparently.

Must have been during Gough's (free) education revolution.

mckenry said:
I love the can. Primarily it helps guard against poor handling (except heat I suppose), but no skunked beer from sunlight.
Cans are environmentally better than glass. I have read tons on this and wont be swayed :p
What I dont get about the 'I tasted aluminium' brigade, is I've never heard anyone say 'coke tastes like metal out of the can', or 'Coke is better from the bottle'. Why would beer be any different?

That aside, I dont particularly like drinking from a can. I prefer to pour it into a glass. But as a medium, cans rock.
You've never heard anybody say coke tastes nicer from the glass bottle? Really?
I've heard heaps of people say that!

Interesting analogy about Choke Coke.

People are comparing the pros and cons of beer when packaged in a can compared to a bottle and then somehow the worst beverage ever created by mankind is thrown up as some kind of evidence that canned drinks taste worse than those packaged in glass. :icon_vomit:

Personally, I buy both, but if boating or camping I'll always get cans.

i REMEMBER THE STEEL CANS.Beer was ok in them but when they changed to aluminium it was a big step backwards,definately noticed the taste. Not going to belittle myself talking about coca cola,never touch the stuff.

Can fan +1.
The US micros are on to it. (Aluminum)
It's different though, with a can you're actually smelling the aluminium under your nose, not tasting it.
Boags don't can, their loss as it means they can't sell it on a MF plane!

IMG_3550 (Large).JPG

wombil said:
i REMEMBER THE STEEL CANS.Beer was ok in them but when they changed to aluminium it was a big step backwards,definately noticed the taste. Not going to belittle myself talking about coca cola,never touch the stuff.
Looked much tougher crushing them too. :D

Back