Canned Beer 'Revolution'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiny_Tim

Reaction score
As per this blog by Jim Koch, Sam Adams is soon to be the latest in a string of 'craft' breweries that have shifted towards packaging in cans in the past few years.

http://blog.samueladams.com/sam-can/

What do people think of craft beer in cans? Is a can better, worse or no different to glass? When are we likely to see real Aussie craft beer (ie not James Squire) in cans?

Damn it treefiddy, that's one fckd up pic! Does all sorts of crazy shit to my eyes.

black_labb said:
Bought one of those the other day so I could make a little metho burning stove out of it. Beer was quite nice and the stove works well. Can't do that with glass
As good a reason as I guess. Do you think it's cloudy because of an additive?

Adr_0 said:
Looks perfectly clear to me...
(I think he's still drunk, shh)

I can never understand why people look down their noses at beer served in cans an in the next breath describe how that beer tastes better on tap.

They are far easier to drink while driving and they fit beautifully and unseen in the drivers side cup holder. Also the foreign ones often look like they are energy drinks or soft drinks as they don't have VB written on them for the cops to recognise.

Bribie G said:
They are far easier to drink while driving and they fit beautifully and unseen in the drivers side cup holder. Also the foreign ones often look like they are energy drinks or soft drinks as they don't have VB written on them for the cops to recognise.
Bloke I used to work with cut the top and bottom out of a coke can and would use the rest as a skin over his (many) travelers.

I brought 16 of those Australian Brewery Pale Ale cans last weekend (about $55)

First few were great, seemed like a S&W pacific ale clone, lots of pilsner, some wheat and a fair wack of galaxy.

Then i got an overcarbonated one and it tasted shit, acidic with a real bite to it. Over the next few days it was a gamble half were overcarbonated, half were fine.

Just a heads up to anyone buying them.

I know the basics of how a canning line works but they defiantly have carbonation issues. Would be good to know if the beer is bulk carbonated in a pressure rated ferementer (or bright tank). If it is im failing to see how some could be ok but some are overcarbonated.

Was going to contact the brewery but havnt had time yet.

I thought it was legal over there to drink beer while driving, provided you're not over the limit? It is here AFAIK.

Cracks me up when people say that they can "taste the can", when the metal of the can itself, never makes contact with the beer...except maybe a little on the way out. Never bothered me though.

I would guess the metallic twang comes from electrowhatnot in the mouth from the aluminium lid and orifice, particularly for people with amalgalm fillings - alfoil accidentally chewed - :eek: :eek:

wbosher said:
I thought it was legal over there to drink beer while driving, provided you're not over the limit? It is here AFAIK.

Cracks me up when people say that they can "taste the can", when the metal of the can itself, never makes contact with the beer...except maybe a little on the way out. Never bothered me though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I definitely get a "metallic" taste from canned drink. If I pour it into a glass it is fine, so I am inclined to agree with Bribie G.

I like the idea of good beers in a can. Less waste produced, easier to take camping, chill faster and allows for some more adventurous beer-can chicken recipes :D

I hate drinking from pewter cups, such as the tacky engraved ones you see at 21'st birthdays.

I'm fine drinking from baked enamel ones however, such as you see around campsites and old peoples cupboards.

Quite a few of the US micros are releasing their beer in cans. Not difference as far as I am concerned, so long as the product is packaged and handled appropriately.

I especially like big cans.

I love the can. Primarily it helps guard against poor handling (except heat I suppose), but no skunked beer from sunlight.
Cans are environmentally better than glass. I have read tons on this and wont be swayed :p
What I dont get about the 'I tasted aluminium' brigade, is I've never heard anyone say 'coke tastes like metal out of the can', or 'Coke is better from the bottle'. Why would beer be any different?

That aside, I dont particularly like drinking from a can. I prefer to pour it into a glass. But as a medium, cans rock.

Amsterdam mariner was my camping beer. $14 for 4 x 500ml cans. Thrown in the esky, if drunk ice ice ice cold, they went down well, like cold water with a touch of beer flavour. Don't ever try it above 3c, yuck! Haha

Latest posts

Back