Candi Sugar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IainMcLean

Reaction score
Just finished my 1st batch of dark candi sugar in preparation for a Big Belgian Brewday I'm hoping to have soon.

Did a bit of reading and made some excellent candi sugar:

IMAG0245.jpg

1Kg white sugar
1 cup water
Juice of 1 Lemon

Simmer sugar + water until sugar is dissolved and the syrup is clear.
Keep simmering on lowest stove setting with lemon juice until its as dark as you like. Add water to keep from getting too hot.
Bring to boil for five minutes to create hard snap.
Put on baking tray lined with baking paper and let set.
Once set break into pieces and toss with powdered sugar to stop it sticking together.

Tastes nice and bitter but not to heavy, lemon tang it there just and the colour is good.

Very pleased! Simple task and really satisfying - one more thing that I don't have to pay over the odds for when I can make it myself...

I've been meaning to get around to making my own Belgian candi as well. My plans were stalled when I couldn't get any DAP (diammonium phosphate) which I was lead to believe is important.

This has been my reference if you are interested http://www.slideshare.net/mezzoblue/everyt...talkcom-9448692

I've never made or been able to compare Belgian candi, it would be interesting to to do a comparison of the effects of different kinds. Hope yours brews up well, let us know the results

Just had a read through the slides on your link and did a google search - turns out DAP is a yeast nutrient and supply of nitrogen and commonly used in sugar refining...

Apparently to invert the sucrose into glucose the citric acid + heat work well.

I did a fair bit of online reading and took the general consensus. Plus we have a lemon tree out back so lemons are free!

It's late now but I wonder if lemon juice has a high nitrogen content...

I've been meaning to get around to making my own Belgian candi as well. My plans were stalled when I couldn't get any DAP (diammonium phosphate) which I was lead to believe is important.

This has been my reference if you are interested http://www.slideshare.net/mezzoblue/everyt...talkcom-9448692

I've never made or been able to compare Belgian candi, it would be interesting to to do a comparison of the effects of different kinds. Hope yours brews up well, let us know the results

I have some DAP. PM me if you like.

Latest posts

Back