Candi Sugar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goat

NULL
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any HBSs that sell Candi Sugar?

I've read plenty of bits and pieces about making some, but by the time I buy an appropriate thermometer and have to replace a saucepan which would undoubtably be destroyed - it might just be easier to buy the stuff...

Presumably also, buying some would have some sort of grading for the colour rather than just stopping the heat when it looks about right.

Is Candi Sugar the same thing as 'Invert Sugar' ?

TIA

Candi Sugar is the same thing as invert sugar.

Making it does not destroy saucepans.... :D

Golden Syrup can be used as an alternative - mid brown caramel colour.

Find an Asian Grocery store - they sell it as yellow rock sugar - very light yellow.

Hope this helps.

Thanks GMK. are those two Inverted - or are they subsitutes if you don't have the right stuff?

I like the sound of the Golden Syrup flavour wise...

Sorry, Golden Syrup is inverted

Yellow rock is a substitute for Candi sugar and as far as i know - is inverted.

have you found any places in crowland that sells it ken.wouldnt mind buying some when down there.goat if you have no luck maybe some of those asians that work at the markets eg wanneroo may be able to help out.

cheers
big d

I have kandi sugah, big D

Now, if the sugar is to be added to a nice big belgian it matters not a damn if it is inverted or not, the yeast have plemty of lovely maltose to chew on and will take a bit of sucrose in its stride.

Candi sugar (sugar solution heated up) is not kandi sugar, even if you add a tsp of citric acid (invert sugar is made with a lot stronger acid than citric!)

Jovial Monk

'way to confuse me JM !!! :blink:

what forms of Kandi sugah do you have JM?

I thought that one used candi sugar to give colour as well as increase the OG.....

Yeah, we are pretty spoilt with Asian Supermarkets etc in Perth BigD - its just that I'm not sure that I would be able to tell if the product is 'inverted'

goat
im going to visit the monk at the monk house so if ya like i can buy some for you and bring it over with me for the perth leg.
if you want any let us know and how much you want.

cheers
big d

have you got a method for making Candi Sugar JM? Very interested to see the difference!

very good thread on grumpys about this recently, if you feel like doing a search.

Never felt the need to make it, I would stuff it up or something and burn a pan!
You can buy it, or just use plain table sugar for the lightest grade of kandi sugar, or use Tate & Lyle Golden Syrup (invert sugar)

there is an article on the OCB about making the 4 colors of candi sugar

Jovial Monk

I made candi sugar recently for my porter(although i was sure i was making toffee, but i was told i wasnt lol) anyways was really simple, basically spreading castor sugar out on baking paper in a tray and baking it until it was dissolved and golden, let it set and it slides right off the baking sheet, so no kitchenware need be harmed in the making of this foodstuff. :D

thanks for the comments chaps. The article on Grumpy's is pretty good (if a little complex for a simpleton like myself) - thanks Deebee. Golden Syrup sounds like the go at this stage....

I'm so confused now! ;) Is Candi sugar, a fully inverted suagr as JM suggest.

I quick scan of the Grumpys forum and posts from Wes suggest that to make candi sugar you just have to make toffee, not citric acid.

JM tells us in another thread that the citric acid only converts 2% of the sugar anyway and you should really use sulphuric acid.

Is candi sugar = a fully inverted sugar.

How much flavour difference will there be (as colour is determined by the ourselves) between the two. Would i just be better off using a honey, is so what one :

Help! :huh: :huh:

Folks, candii sugar IS NOT invert sugar - it is a crystalised sugar, exactly the opposite. I have posted a lot of info on this topic but still the urban myth survives...

Wes.

OK....

What exactly is it then...

Why do HBS in the US stock the proper stuff but in Oz we cant get it?

Coz we cant justify bringing in a container load of a minimum of 10 tonnes. If some other brave sole wants to make the move I will be among the first to buy a 25kg bag.

Wes.

Hi Wes

I have seen the stuff on how to make invert sugar and your posts on Grumpy's. Any idea on how to make candi sugar?

Cheers
Pedro

PS - I will take 25kg as well. Only leaves 9950kg to split amogst the others.

Back