Candi Sugar vs Syrup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edak said:
People are saying that you should use 500ml because it has the weight of water but they are talking volume not weight, which is incorrect.
Are they?

manticle said:
If I have 500g of dry sugar, I have 500g total weight.

If I add 500mL of water to that 500g I have 500g sugar PLUS the weight of 500mL water so to get the same amount of sugar as 500g dry you need more liquid.
In this situation it's worth noting that if you add 500g of sugar to 500ML/g water (500ML = 500g at 4 deg 1 atmosphere) you'll end up with 1kg in 750ML (estimating).

If you can answer this you understand the situation:

If something weighs 1kg and occupies 1L, it has an SG of 1.000

If you add 500g of sugar to this 1L, the sugar will dissolve but the volume will remain the same at 1L.

Now the 1L will weigh 1.5kg.

What's its SG?

Nick JD said:
If you add 500g of sugar to this 1L, the sugar will dissolve but the volume will remain the same at 1L.
When dissolving sugar into water it this is not true. Sugar will increase the volume of water.

Nick JD said:
If you can answer this you understand the situation:

If something weighs 1kg and occupies 1L, it has an SG of 1.000

Now the 1L will weigh 1.5kg.

What's its SG?
PICK ME, PICK ME......1.500

Parks said:
When dissolving sugar into water it this is not true. Sugar will increase the volume of water.
This is true, 1kg of sugar into 1L water will not equal 1L of 1g/ml (100% w/v) sucrose solution.

Parks said:
Tell me by how much.

1L of water with 500g of sugar dissolved in it will have a volume of _______.

Also, as an aside - tell me the saturation point of sucrose in water.

Nick JD said:
Tell me by how much.

Also, as an aside - tell me the saturation point of sucrose in water.
LOL - you really have no idea? I take it you've never actually dissolved any significant amount of sugar in water :ph34r:

It depends on a lot of factors. What form/purity of sugar?

Did you even do a google search before posting?

Here are a few links just to get you started.

http://chanticleersociety.org/forums/p/1480/8574.aspx
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_sugar_still_have_volume_when_it_is_dissolved_in_water

I frequently make up 30% sucrose solutions (sometimes using white sugar if we run out of the good stuff) to use as a cryoprotectant at work. If you mix 300g of white sugar/sucrose into 1L of water (or in my case buffer) and mix it on a stir plate, you end up with more than 1L. This is a rookie mistake made by new people in the lab. To make up 1L of 30% sucrose you dissolve 300g of sucrose into 500ml (give or take) of your water/buffer and once it is disolved make the solution up to 1L. A subtle difference, but different nonehteless.

Parks said:
LOL - you really have no idea? I take it you've never actually dissolved any significant amount of sugar in water :ph34r:

It depends on a lot of factors. What form/purity of sugar?

Did you even do a google search before posting?

Here are a few links just to get you started.

http://chanticleersociety.org/forums/p/1480/8574.aspx
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_sugar_still_have_volume_when_it_is_dissolved_in_water
Thanks, but you haven't told me the answer.

Here's your question again with your added parameters:

1L of pure water with 500g of pure, dry sucrose dissolved in it will have a volume of _______.

I look forward to the answer since you know how to calculate it.

And we can all look forward to knowing that an expert has shown us how far off 1L the volume will be when 500g of sucrose is dissolved in it.

Thanks for doing this for us.

Nick JD said:
Thanks, but you haven't told me the answer.

Here's your question again with your added parameters:

1L of pure water with 500g of pure, dry sucrose dissolved in it will have a volume of _______.

I look forward to the answer since you know how to calculate it.
I don't know nor care at this point. I know, for a fact, that it is greater than 1L. I have, on many, many, occasions added sugar to water and any amount of searching will tell you the same thing.

Parks said:
I don't know nor care at this point. I know, for a fact, that it is greater than 1L. I have, on many, many, occasions added sugar to water and any amount of searching will tell you the same thing.
Oh.

What about this question then:

What will the be the total solution volume if I add 100ml of water to 100ml of pure ethanol?

Also, if anyone can answer the above question:

...that'd be great. It's an interesting thing from a homebrewer's POV.

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

Yeah vol will definitely be greater than 1 litre, no idea by how much though, and also don't care.

Nick JD said:
What will the be the total solution volume if I add 100ml of water to 100ml of pure ethanol?
Very close to, but not quite 200ml.

Nick JD said:

...that'd be great. It's an interesting thing from a homebrewer's POV.
In reality I think the most important thing is if you want a concentration of 500g to 1L to use water to fill up to the 1L and not add 1L to sugar.

Ok then,
I just got up from my desk and disolved 30g of lab grade sucrose into 100ml of distilled water and mixed it up on a stirplate. The volume of the resultant solution was (as far as my 250ml measuring cylinder could tell) was 109ml......

.......(waits for applause)...... :super:

MtStupid.png

GalBrew said:
Ok then,
I just got up from my desk and disolved 30g of lab grade sucrose into 100ml of distilled water and mixed it up on a stirplate. The volume of the resultant solution was (as far as my 250ml measuring cylinder could tell) was 109ml......

.......(waits for applause)...... :super:
Cool. So 300g of sugar in 1L of water will have a volume of 1090ml?

Can you do 50g?

And make us all some coffee?

I assume so, I would imagine the relationship is linear with regards to the volume occupied by a unit of sucrose. I don't know how to calculate the final volume of solutions (all we really care about is molarity, and we make the solution up to a desired volume rather than adding the desired volume), I just know this from experience.

I would have done a larger volume, but we didn't have enough sucrose left in the bottle.

I learned that you can only get 211g of sugar in 100g of water.

Nick JD said:
Apologies for my stupidity in probably not reading this correctly.

I read this as you saying "add 500g to 1L of water" when you could easy actually and probably have meant exactly what I later said.

As you were.

Answer - 1L.
:blink:

Back