Canberra Pubs Worth A Visit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbeard

Sth Seas Pirate Brewery
Reaction score
Not so much a review, as a quick list from a recent visit:

Wig & Pen - (www.wigandpen.com.au) brews its own beers. had about 12? on tap. both co2 cold beers and room temp beer engine types. my fav was pilsner & the kolsch. nice food also.

Debacle - (lonsdale st, braddon) had chimay, erdinger (wheat beer), mercury cider & a few coopers on tap. had a shiatload of other beers in bottles ie leffe. had a pricey food menu but didnt try it as it was late. as an aside, there is a cheap indian restaurant across the road called the blue elephant.

All Bar Nun - (www.allbarnun.com.au). had bulmers, coopers, st arnou, Beez Neez, Guinness etc. nice food.

King O'Malleys - (www.kingomalleys.com.au). has Bulmers, Guinness, Kilkenny, Coopers, Stella, Heineken, James Squire etc. nice food. usual irish type pub.

was staying in civic, without car, so all above were within walking distance.

Hi Redbeard,
I live here in the " Seat of Power" and have sampled the wares of Wig And Pen on a number of occasions and find them to be very enjoyable, what I do like about them is that they brew a few standards that are available all year and then add on about half a dozen seasonal brews, plus the little Brew Menu gives a brief description of what each brew should be like and what it contains so if you really like one of them at least you have a starting point for trying to come up with a copy. :beer:

I was just in 'berra on the weekend. Went for a quick dinner at the George Harcourt Inn, near Cockington Green at Gold Creek, and to meet up with some friends.
I was suprised to see Old Speckled Hen on tap.
That with a steak n guinness pie and chips, while sitting next to the fireplace was awesome.

Other than that there was just Guinness, Kilkenny & Bulmers Cider, but I saw a newcastle brown in the fridge.
Nice little pub though.