Canberra Beer Experience

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thylacine

Reaction score
A recently completed ten-day road trip from Canberra to parts of Victoria revealed how 'the grass isn't always greener'. ie. our two local micros offer a greater range than many of the nine craft beer/micro outlets experienced during our Vic travels. It wasn't unusual to find craft beer (on tap) restricted to: Lager, Pale & Amber alongside the big boys. eg CUB. Melbourne's Parmas, Beer Deluxe, Local Taphouse, Portland Hotel had wider offerings but regional locations weren't generally offering grains beyond ambers. eg. Porters weren't on offer, even in the middle of winter. Anyway, I have renewed appreciation of our local micro offerings. eg. their Randall currently filled with herbs, spices, brandied kumquats and locally grown truffles to infuse a winter Spicy Ale. It's good to be home...

Yeah,
You Canberrans have a couple of very nice micros down there. I went to visit my brother in law down there recently and made sure to get to both whilst down there, and i wasn't disappointed. Had lunch at Zierholz one day and the food was great, beer was awesome. The beers at the Wig and Pen were great too. Not to mention the range out at Plonk....

I guess i'll just have to put up with Hunter Beer Co. and Murrays when i'm at home.... :D

Cheers

I was like a kid in a candy shop at the Wig and Pen during my recent visit. The Obama Dark IPA was my fave (neck and neck with the RIS on the handpump) but the variety of INTERESTING craft brews really stands out amongst a sea of generic Pale Ales at other Micros. I understand the economic reality of needing to have accessible beers for the VB connoisseur but damm it was nice to find a place that gives your palate a bit of a adventure :)
Oh, I also appreciated the abundance of Sheaf Stout found in the most common of bottle shops which sadly is very hard to find in WA.
Cant wait to go back !
:)

A recently completed ten-day road trip from Canberra to parts of Victoria revealed how 'the grass isn't always greener'. ie. our two local micros offer a greater range than many of the nine craft beer/micro outlets experienced during our Vic travels. It wasn't unusual to find craft beer (on tap) restricted to: Lager, Pale & Amber alongside the big boys. eg CUB. Melbourne's Parmas, Beer Deluxe, Local Taphouse, Portland Hotel had wider offerings but regional locations weren't generally offering grains beyond ambers. eg. Porters weren't on offer, even in the middle of winter. Anyway, I have renewed appreciation of our local micro offerings. eg. their Randall currently filled with herbs, spices, brandied kumquats and locally grown truffles to infuse a winter Spicy Ale. It's good to be home...

As an ex resident of Canberra now residing in Brisvegas, I must say I yearn for the simple accessibility of the 2 micros in C town. The range they provide is only rivaled by MT Brewing and Sunshine Coast Brewery up these ways and both are a good drive away which leaves little space for 'enjoying' the beers they make unless you are very local or have a paid driver! Brisbane Brewhouse is doing a fine job so please no one flame me for not giving credit there!

Its the range and the rotation that both W&P and Zeirholz provide that keep you going back and back. They aren't always amazing but they are always fresh and always experimenting and that's all I want from them! I remember about 10 years ago I had my first Bock at W&P as a uni student. Aviator Bock. Delicious then and would be now. Cheers to ACT brewing. :beerbang:

Ebo

Not to mention the International Hotel Brewpub at Spring Hill, and a reasonably short stagger down the hill to the Platform Bar afterwards. :icon_drunk:

And now the Baccus Brewery in the Southern Regions, Bribie.

Veering back on topic , I really enjoyed the micros at Canberra during last years Nationals, good range and quality - and hopefully convinced a few mates down there to keep supporting them. Plonk's stable of international & local beers was first rate as well. :icon_cheers:

Edit: spelling :blink:

Not to mention the International Hotel Brewpub at Spring Hill, and a reasonably short stagger down the hill to the Platform Bar afterwards. :icon_drunk:

BribieG - I knew someone would pick me up on that and i'd be damned if it was anyone but you! :icon_cheers: I like the Irish Red as well. Genuine 1972 pint prices.

Winkle - you are right, I was out at Bacchus on the weekend and Ross showed me around. Looks very exciting and clearly a great set up. Can't wait to see the boys get some brews cranking!

Cheers
Ebo

Latest posts

Back