Can You Review My Idea For A Biab Brew Table

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob S

Reaction score
Here's my idea for a BIAB setup with recirculating temp controlled mash, 2 sparges & a cooling thing. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel but want to make something that I understand and isn't too expensive but may give me good results and be a bit of fun to do. Things like pump type, tube type, whether the bag will get sucked into the tap etc are for later. For now I'm after some feedback on the system. I feel I need to apologise for the MS Paint pictures, but I can't draw for shit and if I told you how long it took me to do this on MS Paint you'd laugh at me...... Flame away!!

This is the initial setup

Initial_Setup.jpg

Next is the Mash. The coil is now in the urn. The temp controller gets the temp from the pot, controls the on/off of the urn that has the coil inside.

Mash.jpg

Next Pic is the recirculating sparge - The coil is still in the Urn. Lifting and resting the bag above the pot this will recirculate the wort. The burner is not on. The urn is still powered by the temp controller sensing the pot temp, keeping it at mashout temperatures. 30 mins or so of this i dunno?

Sparge_Recirculate.jpg

Next is Sparge from Urn Water - a nice slow rinse to top up the stock pot. I'm thinking of putting a shower head on the end of the tube so it gives the grain a nice soft wash. Have it high enough so that the entire surface area of the grain gets wet. I realise that this will drop the temp but a few trials will work out what temperature to set the urn at to get the water hitting the grain at about 80*C. Will keep doing this to keep the pot topped up during the boil. I'll keep the Urn water at Mashout temp.

Sparge_from_Urn.jpg

The Boil - no pic.

Cool down. - coil is put into the esky and the wort circulated through it. ice is added to the esky as needed. Temp controller keeps track of temperature (urn unplugged)

Cool_Down.jpg

Fermenter - not 100% sure of this but thinking about an elbow jointed pickup. The picture on the right was a brain spasm, though I'm still working on it.

fermenter.jpg

clean - Fill up the Urn with 10L of water and bleach - run this through the system. Follow this up with some StarSan and end up with a closed loop around hte coil and pump. Keep this way until next brew day.

Clean__bleach_followed_by_StarSan_.jpg

I want all this mounted on a table. Nice and neat with clear tubing so I can see it all going round. It's not too hard for my brain to imagine and uses the minimum of equipment that I can think of, with everything I don't have available from the sponsors.

Does anyone have a fresh set of eyes to see where this will fall down?

Any suggestions?

Rob

Won't work.

Your diagrams reminded me of something I've seen recently - you don't work for the Queensland Main Roads Department who are completing the new roadworks at Bowen Hills, by any chance? How do I get onto the Inner City By Pass from Kingsford Smith Drive, or can't it be done?

bowen_hills.jpg

:blink:

You asked for it, Rule #1: Dont ask to be flamed!

Yar had it coming Ben. Tschadikonopoulis. Stay in the right lane inbound, as you get to Breakfast Creek close your eyes & use the force. If i had a couple of spare days I'd make a picture for you in Paint. Lots of sqiggly lines & gaudy colours.

If I weren't the OP I'd jump in too. I might as well....ha ha looks like a mad woman's shit.

Oh for the want of creativity & ability. My mouse stopped working too & had to use the touchpad thing. Made things worse, not that a mouse would have done all that better.

Sodium percarbonate would be a better option than bleach.

Just curious, but why don't you study up on RIMS? This would seem the neatest and most effective way to autonomyously recirculate during a BIAB mash.

Do you already own any of the equipment above? If not, then have a look at BCF in the cooking section. I'm not sure of the volume off the top of my head, but they have a rather large aluminium crayfish boiler (probably around 40-60L) that comes with an aluminium strainer to suit. You'd just need to figure out a system for easy removal of the basket when under load. For a Braumaster style conversion, the perforations could be covered by stainless mesh so that your grains can sit straight in there.

How drunk were you?

Forget our feedback.. I just want to see your feedback now that you are sobber? Can you make out the diagrams?

:D

I like your paint skills.

How did you make your squares so awesome? Can you teach me?
Here is some of my previous work.

Black_duck_brewery4.JPG

Where do you get those neat pentagonal fermenters?

Tschadikonopoulis

BIAB is a great system, but it was designed around being simple with minimal gear

IMHO if you got 3 vessles, HERMS coils with controllers, and pumps why not go a 3V system?

Sparge_Recirculate2.jpg

QldKev

How drunk were you?

Forget our feedback.. I just want to see your feedback now that you are sobber? Can you make out the diagrams?

:D

Hell yeah, they make heaps of sense to me.

I like your paint skills.

How did you make your squares so awesome? Can you teach me?
Here is some of my previous work.

View attachment 53246

I think that's awesome. I'd give you a gold star. I'm self taught in Paint believe it or not!!

Where do you get those neat pentagonal fermenters?

Tschadikonopoulis

BIAB is a great system, but it was designed around being simple with minimal gear

IMHO if you got 3 vessles, HERMS coils with controllers, and pumps why not go a 3V system?

View attachment 53247

QldKev

This may sound stupid but I never quite understood 3V but the picture makes sense hahaha

I might make this thread my home page just to remind me not to post diagrams when drunk :huh:

My experience with trying to recirculate with a BIAB bag in the pot wasnt great. Bag gets sucked towards the exit. I guess if you have a good false bottom it might work ok. I was just working with a hopscreen.

Back