Can You Cc In Stages

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wax

Reaction score
Can you cold condition in stages or does it have to be done in one stretch? ie. if i cc for one week, bring the beer back to room temp for a day or 2 (because of a busted fridge :angry: ), and then cc for another week, will this have the same affect as cc for 2 weeks straight?

I would assume you could, I have done similar and not had any ill effect but I cant say if it was exactly the same because i didn't have two samples next to each other.

i wouldn't stressover it though. Keep it cool when its out of the fridge (eg not stored out in the sun)

In melbourne its almost bloddy colder outside esp. at night than in my fridge :)

It is the bulk ageing in a container that counts, if you are only CCing for two weeks you are not gonna get much of a lagering effect.

BTW, the smoked rye porter brewed behind the shop here 2 Sundays ago went into CC yesterday. Very clean looking already, lovely but subtle smoky note. Going to make a Pack based on that recipe, ir rules!

Jovial Monk

Although you may not get the Lager effect, i find it does clean up my beers in flavour and esp is dropping the yeast etc to make a great clear beer

(All that said i normally CC(1deg) for about 6 weeks, then keg and its at 4deg for a further 2-4 weeks for my light beers (1050 or less)

Stouts and porters i leave as long as i can - about a year before i cant handle it any more due to room etc

Latest posts

Back