Can You Buy Grain Already Ground?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbiep

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was reading Nicks All Grain post (stove top brewing) and i noticed that the grain he used, he needed to grind in a coffee grinder.

Can you buy your grain already ground?

Regards,
Robbie

Click on any of the site sponsor's advertisements... The answer is yes.

Probably is looking for it on a website? You usually get asked in the checkout or something....

Good point, I know Craftbrewer (link above) has an option when you buy grain at checkout, you select milled or unmilled.

Where abouts our you RobbieP? If you update your profile with your location we can suggest who to buy grain from that's close to you.

Plenty of homebrew shops that sell grain will grind it for you, and that includes the online ones.

Hi guys,

I was reading Nicks All Grain post (stove top brewing) and i noticed that the grain he used, he needed to grind in a coffee grinder.

Can you buy your grain already ground?

Regards,
Robbie
you will find that most shops will crack it for you,and do a better jub than a coffee grinder

Robbie

Grain and Grape in Melbourne will mill it for you. Actually, when you place your order they will ask you if you want it milled. I'm sure that other goog brewing shops are the same.

Cheers
Daniel

If you're buying it by the kg then it costs the same milled or unmilled.

If you're buying it in 25kg sacks, then you need to mill it yourself.

You'll save 40-60% buying in bulk.

Just a note that the grain will not keep as long once cracked. Yes the homebrew shops will mill the grain for you however once milled the grain will need to be used quickly. This is the reason why home brewers buy there own mill because that way you can buy the grain in bulk and mill as you need, and save money. I wouldn't bother with a coffee grinder, when you can get it milled properly at the store. If you decide to mill yourself buy a decent mill and then look at buying in bulk to save money which will pay for the mill. Which way you go of course all depends on how much you are planning on brewing.

doubt you save 40-60%! I can get ale and pilsner malt for $2.75 a kg milled. Maybe on say imported grains yeah but I find the aussie malt alright for what I am doing and it works out less then $1 a lt usually for ingredients and I get it weighed and cracked for me, So dont have to buy a mill or anything

doubt you save 40-60%! I can get ale and pilsner malt for $2.75 a kg milled. Maybe on say imported grains yeah but I find the aussie malt alright for what I am doing and it works out less then $1 a lt usually for ingredients and I get it weighed and cracked for me, So dont have to buy a mill or anything

Brand for brand? From where? comparing BB ale and pilsner with weyermann or dingemans is not a fair comparison...

If your HBS vac-packs their grain then it will last much longer when milled. I used a 7 month old cracked batch of grain from MHB and had zero efficiency or taste problems. In fact, it was one of my favourites! (Janet's brown from brewing classic styles). Careful though, I have only ever bought grain from CB or MHB, and all up only a handful of times (no problem with anyone else, they were just the most convenient at the time). About half the vac packed bags I've bought from each place have lost their vacuum within a few days - but thats like 2 out of 4 purchases, so my data isn't really conclusive :p I can only assume that vac packing grain is kind of difficult to do reliably.

Of course you can. Some places even sell pre cracked bags of it.

Is it as good? No. It's shelf life is less than uncracked grain, though it may not have an impact on your beer. If possible get your grain cracked per order. Many companies offer it, i often use CB or MHB. Cracked per order to the gram. And with people like MHB i find the cost per cracked specific order to be close to sack prices anyway. It's easier i find to get a few batches pre cracked in specific amounts ready to go keeping my in house stocks low.

doubt you save 40-60%!

Weyermann Pilsner (I use thi as my base malt in everything) is $5 per kg at Craftbrewer. That's $125 per sack.

It's $80 per sack.

If you get in a bulk buy it's $60 per sack.

60/125 = 0.48

So, yes, you're correct. You can save between 36 and 52% if you buy bulk - and not my wild speculation of 40-60! :)

Then again, if I did these numbers for Aussie malts, who knows how far off I'd be.... ;)

Dunno where you're from, Pat at Absolute Home Brew at St Marys - NSW - will grind your order up, pack it in a heat sealed bag, and there's your lot.

Keeps for ages is stored sensibly.
Perhaps even foolishly.

Dunno where you're from, Pat at Absolute Home Brew at St Marys - NSW - will grind your order up, pack it in a heat sealed bag, and there's your lot.

Keeps for ages is stored sensibly.
Perhaps even foolishly.

And he will also sell grain by the sack, and helps with sydney bulk buys ;)

Top fella ;)

I'm sure there'd be a few homebrewers around the area happy to help a fellow brewer out.

Updating your location will help find brewers (and retailers, as Truman said) in your area.

Back