Can you burn DME?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1149913

Reaction score
Hey guys, i recently decided to propagate some CPA yeast at work. I ended up sterilising the dry DME before dissolving it in sterile tap water as it boils over while in the autoclave. Could the high temp ruin the DME for the yeast as my 1L starter never really took off.

Thanks, J

No.

Small starters can ferment out really quickly without much in the way of visible signs. Have you measured the gravity?

I haven't no, all my equipment is at my dads house. Fermentation has started, its just taking much longer than usual which was why i was wondering about burning the DME. All good, thanks for the answer

High temp can ruin the yeast obviously - i'm guessing you know that. It won't ruin the DME though, at least not at the levels you're talking about (boiled in water unless I've missed something).

Are you saying you heat sterilised the undissolved malt?

You can most certainly scorch extract. Not saying you did, of course, but it is possible.

In either case, it may not even matter for a starter if you were planning on decanting the starter beer anyway. Whose nose?

If you stuck it dry in an autoclave, I can imagine it getting fucked. Never occurred to me anyone would do that.

Also never occurrred to me that if you did do that and pulled out some smoking burnt, melted sticky mess, that you would consider using it for a starter.

Am I blind?

Yes, i heat sterilised the DME before dissolving it in water so i didn't get boilover in the autoclave.

lol no it wasn't smoking or burnt in colour, but it was a solid blob until i put in the water and stuck it on the stir place for an hour.

"In either case, it may not even matter for a starter if you were planning on decanting the starter beer anyway. Whose nose?"

I'll spin it down in the centrifuge and aspirate the broth before pitching.

To sanitise your already sanitised, boiled and dehydrated extract, you really don't need to do much more than boil it for 5-10 minutes in some water (probably not even that but it's so easy and foolproof).

Leave the autoclave for equipment or for making slants.

And my first answer is changed - yes you might **** it. I thought you just boiled it and got some boilover.

And in Off Topic matters .... has anyone ever tried making dark candy syrup from LDME?

No but I have reduced ag wort to a dark syrup which is presumably very similar. Obviously no acid but maltose doen't need inverting/splitting in the same way sucrose does.

Great for UK bitters and scottish heavy, also do it for a robust porter recipe.

Back