• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Can This Be Filled With Co2?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakey

Reaction score
Hi all, I just scored this gas bottle from a neighbour today and was wondering if it could be filled, or converted to be filled with co2? It is a blueshield 23 bottle which is a mixture of argon, co2 and o2. I have no clue on this sort of stuff so some help would be much appreciated. 2012_09_16_12.08.07.jpg2012_09_16_12.09.06.jpg2012_09_16_12.09.30.jpg
Cheers :beerbang: Lakey

No it can't, the bottle value is not C02 compatible either.

No it can't, the bottle value is not C02 compatible either.
Thanks Batz, can the valve be changed for co2 or will the bottle just not be strong enough to hold co2?

Thanks Batz, can the valve be changed for co2 or will the bottle just not be strong enough to hold co2?

It could be and the bottle is OK, but I don't think anyone would fill it for you. The bottle belongs to that company on the sticker, so it's considered stolen.

It could be and the bottle is OK, but I don't think anyone would fill it for you. The bottle belongs to that company on the sticker, so it's considered stolen.
So if the sticker was to ''fall off'' and the bottle be tested and new co2 valve put on would I be able to get it refilled with co2?

Maybe that company would give you a finders fee for returing it?
Probably not though.

If not you'd need to find someone dodgy to fill it for you. Every time you run out you'll have trouble. It will be a hassel in the long run.

Maybe that company would give you a finders fee for returing it?
Probably not though.

If not you'd need to find someone dodgy to fill it for you. Every time you run out you'll have trouble. It will be a hassel in the long run.

What about the guys with converted fire extinguishers out there where do you get them filled?

just get them filled at any fire extinguisher place... simple.

they are a co2 container, with a valid co2 valve on them.

the person filling it wouldn't even know it's had the dip tub removed.

also they're owned outright, so none of this hassle regarding rental and filling someone elses bottles ....

If you go to tool shops where they sell gas welding stuff some have liquid air gas bottles to buy outright.
So it may not be stolen.

I've thought of this before, and I have tried giving one of those away. I have been told you can be fined and held liable for outstanding rental on the bottle. Peel the sticker off and take it to a scrap metal place. If you're lucky they will take it for free.

Back