can someone tell me what this means?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerSwiller

Reaction score
Hi All,

Brewed a green bullet lager with 100% pilsner malt and fermented out with S189 @ 12c, never seen anything like this with the head formation and the beer tastes and smells fine so i didn't think it was anything like an infection but im really not sure.. weird..

IMG_0021.jpg

Hmmm. It looks like a severe case of making sure you have another in the fridge and enjoying it too.

I had a lager behave like that Beerswiller, it tasted good for the whole keg, no signs of an infection.

I would say relax and enjoy the rest of it!

Cheers

You eating at the same time? Looks like a mouth/top lip sized chunk missing which could leave a greasy layer behind. Or could be your drinking to slow and need to poor another to repeat the process.

Proteins contribute to head formation and retention. Looks good to me.

Have you got a small amount of oil or detergent in the glass?

Looks bad to me..........definite infection.......will be very hard to deal with.......I'll take a hit and get rid of all bottles and kegs of this bacteriological mess myself. Please send all kegs and bottles to me.

Yes, I have had this happen as well, no problem with taste!

I had this exact same thing on a brown ale I brewed and was also concerned it might be an infection. It tasted fine but it certainly looks like a bacterial rave party happening in the glass.

sell the froth on ebay,i can see 2 puppy dogs,a goblin and half of england in it. nah looks fine,tastes fine? no probs. ..cheers..spog....

Did you do a stepped mash??
That is normally formed by protein which could have been broken down by a suitable mash regeim.
I have seen it many times when DME is used in the grist when you have no control over the mash.
It can be caused by high levels of adjuncts in the beer as well.
Because you used only pils malt then I would be looking toward your mash schedule.
As others said apart from the appearance it is fine.

Cheers

I see a diverging pangea. I'm with spog- sell that shit on ebay.

Or drink and enjoy :)

This is actually a reading of your future. Im am lucky enough to be "blessed" with the talent that is needed to read the future through the head of a beer.

Without going into to much detail, has im extremely busy at work (reading everyones future) ill quickly predict yours.
All I can say is that you will be receiving a large amount of cash in the near future, the "planets" are aligning and telling me this extreme wealth will be coming from a long lost relative somewhere in Africa. Im predicting you receive a email in the future which will contain all the details required to gain access to this money. Just keep a eye on your email inbox, the "spirits" are also repeating 'junk inbox' to me, so check that also.

If you have any further questions, please dont hesitate to ask me.

With such a high protein brew you can probably throw out all your fridge and pantry contents and live completely on your beer, Doritos and an occasional glass of cider to avoid scurvy.

Sorry about the late reply guys,

Yeah the brew still tastes fine, had a few mates have a crack at it and thought it was fine, was just a simple mash;
mash in @ 38
rise to 53c for 10min
rise to 63c for 75min
rise to 78c for 15min

no-chilled and put into fermenter a few days later

used a slurry of S189

Actually just checking over the mash schedule, i noticed that i got my dad to set the brew going and accidentally told him to protein mash for 30min at 50c instead of my usual 5 - 10min @ 53c ---- maybe this is why?

Latest posts

Back