Can someone please recommend me a beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stonedpirate

Reaction score
Hello

I was hoping someone here could give me a recommendation on a decent lager that i can brew as a cheap staple to my life.

Basically, i have drank spirits most of my life but due to recent crazy events i have decided to switch to beer. I never drank much beer in the past because wasnt really fond of the taste it it doesnt get me drunk.

Anyway, i have purchased 6 cartons of beer over the past 2 weeks to get a general idea of what i like.

None of them really did it for me and i didnt like the prices either. Bottom line, commercial beer is no good.

After trying coopers pale ale i have decided ale isnt too bad but due to cloudiness, floaties and flatness, ale is probably not what i'm after.

So i think i am looking for a clean, crisp ice cold, non hoppy lager with high alcohol content 8%+.

If someone knows an extract kit that fits that requirement i would greatly appreciate it.

Coopers Cerveza
1kg Light Dry Malt
1kg Dextrose
500gm Demerara or Raw sugar.
Made up to 22 litres.
Will give about 8-8.2% in the bottle.

You will need a good lager yeast and temp control around 12c. Probably need a starter or 2 packs plus to handle the alcohol.
Should be fairly malty with little to nil in the way of hops.
Ferment for 3 weeks or so followed by 2-3 weeks as cold as possible before bottling.

*disclaimer....can not attest to the drinkabilty of said brew but does fit your request.

How about ginger beer?

In Scotland (from whence I came once upon a time) it was normal to ask for a lager and lime (lager with a shot of lime cordial in it to get rid of the lager taste). Like training juice.
Bitter and twisted is a real ale from Harvieston Brewery which is along the same lines. ....or you could just brew cheap lager and chuck in some lime juice!

Exactly what lager flavour were you trying to get rid of...

Thanks all

Basically just want something cold and crisp to get me pissed without making me go rum crazy.

The hop flavour whether mild or strong doesnt appeal to me.

My parents and pretty much my whole family are scottish hence the spirits but just getting too old for that shit now.

Looking for a cheap cold drink the gets me drunk without a hangover or nasty over pissed side effects.

I know, not really a good set of requirements on what could be considered a "beer snob" site (no offence) but thats what i'm after.
So far from this thread i have gleaned that higher alcohol content requires lower temperatures and more temperature control?

What were the beers you bought? And what didn't you like about them?

I bought most mainstream beers bought at most aussie bottleshops.

Cartlon Cold
Cartlon Dry
Carlton Pale Ale
EB
VB
Corona
Emu Export

plus my girlfriend had a few weird beers in the fridge that i tried. Bees Neez and Hans super dry.

I can only describe it as when i started smoking. All ciggies tasted the same, like smokey poison. But with years of experience i could tell the difference between the brands. Without the aquired taste of an experienced beer drinker, i couldnt tell much difference between them beyond that most were drinkable except for VB and Emu export. The rest kind of tasted the same but could tell the difference between ale and lager.

If i could find maybe a milder carlton cold with better head and higher alcohol content that would do me.

Given that the beers you list all aim for pretty much the same flavor profile, it's understandable they pretty much taste the same. I couldn't pick Carlton cold out of a blind tasting line up, and I'd say few people would.

How do you feel about dark low hopped stouts? Think Guiness etc.

Try the Coopers APA, that has little to no hop taste. If you cold crash before bottling there will be little to no cloudiness or floaties. 1kg BE2, 1kg Dex will be strong.

stonedpirate said:
Hello

I was hoping someone here could give me a recommendation on a decent lager that i can brew as a cheap staple to my life.

Basically, i have drank spirits most of my life but due to recent crazy events i have decided to switch to beer. I never drank much beer in the past because wasnt really fond of the taste it it doesnt get me drunk.

Anyway, i have purchased 6 cartons of beer over the past 2 weeks to get a general idea of what i like.

None of them really did it for me and i didnt like the prices either. Bottom line, commercial beer is no good.

After trying coopers pale ale i have decided ale isnt too bad but due to cloudiness, floaties and flatness, ale is probably not what i'm after.

So i think i am looking for a clean, crisp ice cold, non hoppy lager with high alcohol content 8%+.

If someone knows an extract kit that fits that requirement i would greatly appreciate it.

The majority of Ales aren't cloudy, flat or have floaties
Also, the cloudiness is purely aesthetic, if you hadn't of seen it you probably wouldn't have noticed it

Too old to drink spirits any more yet young enough to seek a palatable alcohol delivery system with the aim being to get drunk.
Tried Breezers?

Surprised bribie hasn't chimed in with his patented malt liquor recipe..
3... 2...1....

my 2c.

1. buy a commercial lager - eg carlton dry
2. buy a bottle of vodka - eg, whatever
3. put a measured shot in the glass/bottle
4. drink it

i think that's probably more the taste you're after and will 'get you pissed without getting rum crazy'. at least one can hope. by reading your posts i get a sense of the kind of drink not being the issue, but perhaps more the effects on the drinker? would love to be proven wrong however.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/alcoholism/basics/symptoms/con-20020866

Alcoholism signs and symptoms include those below. You may:
  • Be unable to limit the amount of alcohol you drink
  • Feel a strong need or compulsion to drink
  • Develop tolerance to alcohol so that you need more to feel its effects
  • Drink alone or hide your drinking
  • Experience physical withdrawal symptoms — such as nausea, sweating and shaking — when you don't drink
  • Not remember conversations or commitments, sometimes referred to as a "black out"
  • Make a ritual of having drinks at certain times and become annoyed when this ritual is disturbed or questioned
  • Be irritable when your usual drinking time nears, especially if alcohol isn't available
  • Keep alcohol in unlikely places at home, at work or in your car
  • Gulp drinks, order doubles or become drunk intentionally to feel good, or drink to feel "normal"
  • Have legal problems or problems with relationships, employment or finances due to drinking
  • Lose interest in activities and hobbies that used to bring you pleasure
If you binge drink or have other problems with alcohol, you may have many of the signs and symptoms above, although you may not feel as much of a compulsion to drink compared with someone who has alcoholism. Also, you may not have physical withdrawal symptoms when you don't drink. But this pattern of drinking can still cause serious problems and lead to alcoholism. As with alcoholism, you may not be able to quit problem drinking without help.

Actually if I'm reading this right the OP has purchased 6 slabs in two weeks - that's ~10 beers a day. Emmm.... that's quite a lot...

I'm not wanting to preach here but dude you may want to pull it back a bit.

Thanks all.

Yeah, admittedly I am borderline alcoholic with none of the negative side effects. Finances are fine, relationships are fine, health is reasonable, could lose a feew kilos but then, who couldnt?

What can i say, i like to drink :p

10 beers a day is cutting back :p

Rum and Whiskey just dont agree with me anymore but 10 beers puts me into a deep restful sleep with zero hangover plus get the health benefits of vitamins and shit :p

I'm going to buy a coopers DIY kit today and see what thats like. People have suggested i will like the taste because its a nice clean lager that i'm after then i'll try figure out a way to increase alcohol content without adding spirits.

Cheers

where to start.... :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back