Can Someone Give Me An Estimate Of Fg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob S

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just after some help if possible.

I've thrown together some stuff: -

The contents of a brand new coopers brew kit (1 x tin lager, 1 x packet of brew enhancer 2)
An Aussie Lager kit improver that I bought online (contained a bag of malty goodness and about 15g of hop pellets)
25g galaxy pellet

Made up to 25 litres.

SG was 1.060

Pitched a 1 litre starter of Wyeast Pacman

fermented at 15*c for 7 days and the gravity was 1.030

Temperature raised to 18*c for 1 days and the gravity was 1.025

The gravity after 3 days at ambient temperature of 19*c is 1.020

Can anyone suggest what the FG should be?

Due to work commitments Saturday morning is my only window of opportunity to bottle this stuff.

I'm planning to crash chill friday morning.

I'm guessing due to the packet of brew enhancer 2 and also the packet of malty goodness that was in the brew improver kit it's going to be a high finishing gravity.

(I was going to throw in 500g of LDME just for shits and giggles. Glad I didn't now)

Cheers for any help.

Rob

without knowing what was in the "bag of malty goodness" and how big it was, it's hard to guess.
Leaving the beer on the yeast for a further week will not hurt.

the coopers BE2 from memory has unfermentables in it if it goes all the way 10-15

That fg seems a liitle high, not a lot but hard to say not knowing exactly what was in your kit improver...generaly just LHBS talk for BE1 or BE2.
Probably a far whack of unfermentable maltodextrin inthere.
Id leave it at temp for another 4 or 5 days then cold chill a few days before bottling. Will make sure its finished and allow
it to clear up.

tho i do all grain brewing i usually ferment at 18-19C in a fermentation fridge for around 10-14 days and thats for a normal gravity beer around 50 patience it will come down

if you are bottling in glass bottles i would suggest that you wait awhile to save exploding bottles .if you cant bottle this weekend then if you have your wort in a fermenting fridge you didnt specify, but you can keep it cool and bottle later just dont leave for to long else it could go off on ya

Great, thanks for the advice.

I can bottle next Friday so I may just leave it st 18 for another week. I'm in no rush. It tastes pretty amazing for a kits & bits.

From memory it was a 500g bag of malty love.

If you can't bottle it due to other committments then consider
racking it off the trub, then you can store it for up to 6 weeks
and the CO2 can still get out.

Being an ale it won't improve dramatically in that time,
but I've been in this spot more than once and removing the 'pressure' to bottle
is a sound reason to rack IMHO. Just do it cleanly.

As the other guys said, it's hard to est. FG without knowing what's in the mixtures. This might not be so useful for you in this situation, Rob, but others maybe interested. If you do know the ratios of ingredients then this calculator seems reasonably accurate (OG and FG are both usually within a couple of points in my experience).

http://www.liquorcraft.com.au/wa.asp?idWeb...p;idDetails=107

how_long_string1.jpg

There's a lot guessing going on here.....seriously, your FG will be your FG. Wait it out. Way too many variables...

This is your best bit of advice:

without knowing what was in the "bag of malty goodness" and how big it was, it's hard to guess.
Leaving the beer on the yeast for a further week will not hurt.

which you seem to agree with:

Great, thanks for the advice.

I can bottle next Friday so I may just leave it st 18 for another week. I'm in no rush. It tastes pretty amazing for a kits & bits.

From memory it was a 500g bag of malty love.

id ignore pretty much everything else in your thread.

If it doesnt make it to a quarter of the OG and you bottle it, expect bottle bombs (just a rule of thumb), so 1.015

tnd

Latest posts

Back