Can I..?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pleasure Master

Reaction score
I have a recipe for a german larger, using;

2kg light liquid malt
1kg light dry malt

some grain for steeping
and hops naturally.

Now the instructions call for steeping the grain an boil and add hops as per standard and to add the malts plus hot water to the fermenter(mix well) then add the contents of the boil pot.

My question is, can I boil a full volume, ie, bring 30 odd litres of water to the boil add the malts and carry on from there?

yes you can it will be a tad darker but if you can do a full boil then do it. You will be better to do the boil at 1040 gravity or close to it and dump the rest of the malt in with about 5 mins to go. Or you can boil the lot from the start but you will have to adjust the hop additions as depending on the gravity of the boil you will be out. I would do boil the lot if you have a software to work out your IBU of coarse hops after 15mins wont matter much but for bittering they will change.

... My question is, can I boil a full volume, ie, bring 30 odd litres of water to the boil
add the malts and carry on from there?
You would be unnecessarily giving up something that can help with getting your wort
down to pitching temperature quickly if so - and you would have to deal with getting
~30L of boiling wort down to pitching temps.

25L of water could be put in your brew fridge (or maybe normal fridge if necessary)
to chill down to near 0C that can be added to your maybe ~7L to ~10L of boiled mix
of strained steepings and malt extracts and bring it all down to pitching temperature
quickly.

Last time I did this with a DSGA, the wort was down to about 16C after I added the
chilled water. I like to boil the steeping and extract mix as a final sterilising step and
makes it easy to mix well with top-up water.

If you feel your main water source needs to be boiled for sterilising, then you could
still do this but a couple of days beforehand and chill it down to go ahead as above.

T.

Latest posts

Back