Can I still use old grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I say go for it. I have brewed with old grain recently. About 7 kg of milled mixed grains, about 4 years old (and I just got around to it). A belgian GSA. Smelled a bit funky at dough-in, but the wort turned out great, and only lost a little efficiency, which I usually lose with a big O.G. wort anyway.

Maybe mix with some fresh grain.

BTW. My wort has been in a cube for a week and will prob be pitched tonight. FWIW, I call it "St Arnold's brother".

**edited for spelling**

As long as its still crunch it should be fine

Kegged this brew today, finished at 1010. It tasted pretty good going in, so bottoms up in a couple of weeks.

Cheers for the replies

I've used 2 year old base malts in the past with good results.
But thats not milled grains.

Just poured my first pint of the beer I have named the milf. Even tho the grain was old and a lot were advising not to bother, it's a great ale!!!! Only been in the keg for a month and is very well balanced with a nice hop flavour and aroma. To be honest now I reckon the grain was pretty close to 2 year old!!!! Hahaha didn't want to admit that before

nice one , might be a gilf now though :lol:
i have used old cracked grain befor and was happy with the results,

chopdog said:
Just poured my first pint of the beer I have named the milf. Even tho the grain was old and a lot were advising not to bother, it's a great ale!!!! Only been in the keg for a month and is very well balanced with a nice hop flavour and aroma. To be honest now I reckon the grain was pretty close to 2 year old!!!! Hahaha didn't want to admit that before

"Malt I Lest Forget" Ale. Love it. All in all I bet it tastes better than the TEDs my brother only had to offer today. Had one, when he offered me another beer I said sure, let me know when you get some. I need to finish my rig so I can brew again.

Hahaha, I done the dishes before and would rather drink the left over water out of a bottle then TED!!!!!!

chopdog said:
Cheers mate. This is the exact situation I am heading toward this weekend!

Back