Quantcast

Can I still use old grain

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

chopdog

Reaction score
Hey guys, just a quick question. I have a half sack of cracked pale grain that is about a year old, you reckon it is still any good or should I throw it. Problem is I want to brew today and where I usually get my sacks from don't have any in stock.

Cheers

Nibbo

Reaction score
If it is cracked, then she'll be no good. Half a sack of cracked grains a lot to have lying around...

If it isn't cracked theres a chance she should be alright. Chew on a few grains and test for crunch. If its soft it'll be past its best.

Nick JD

Blah Blah Blah
Reaction score
Pour it into a bowl and give it a shake. Watch it come alive!

spog

The Odd Drop Brewery
Reaction score
Nick JD said:
Pour it into a bowl and give it a shake. Watch it come alive!
checking for weavels? ..cheers...spog...

chopdog

Reaction score
Nibbo said:
If it is cracked, then she'll be no good. Half a sack of cracked grains a lot to have lying around...

If it isn't cracked theres a chance she should be alright. Chew on a few grains and test for crunch. If its soft it'll be past its best.
Thought this was the case. Moved house and haven't brewed in like 8 months. But I have drank all stocked up supplies and have got the itch again

chopdog

Reaction score
Just opened the bag and tasted it, it is still very crunchy and taste's good. I poured it into a bowl and couldn't see it move. It has been in the original bag cable tied shut since I bought it, and the bag was in one of those big tub from the reject shop.
I reckon I might give it ago. I guess the grain prolly won't be as efficient so I'll just use more.
Any reasons why I shouldn't give it a whirl?

Nick JD

Blah Blah Blah
Reaction score
chopdog said:
Any reasons why I shouldn't give it a whirl?
None at all - though I wouldn't throw $10 of yeast and $10 of hops at it.

Let us know how it tastes.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
If the malt has gone "slack" but still tastes ok, help it along in the mash with a kilo of fresh grain - between the two of them that should provide enough enzymes to get the job done.

thedragon

Off topic...
Reaction score
I've recently been though the same thought process as you.

When it comes down to it, there are two choices:

1. Use the grain. You may get a good result, albeit the chances are low due to potential for moisture having got in there, or other shit / bugs getting in there. If it's no good, you've wasted 4 hours on brew day, 2 weeks fermenting and time cold/bottle/keg conditioning. Plus there's the heartache of having to empty full bottles or your keg. Not to mention the $20 of yeast and hops.

2. Feed the old stuff to the birds and fork out $15 for 5kg of new grain.

For me the choice was easy. better still, if you've got kids they'll enjoy watching the birds hook in to the old grain.

chopdog

Reaction score
To be honest I'd rather go down swinging, so I gave it ago. All seems well at the moment. I'll check the sg tomorrow once the wort chills. Just done a simple apa. I'll by a we sack of grain next week once my supplier has more stock

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
Nick JD said:
None at all - though I wouldn't throw $10 of yeast and $10 of hops at it.

Let us know how it tastes.
I agree but no yeast has to cost $10.00, and $10.00 worth of hops? Well spent IMO.

Batz

Thefatdoghead

Reaction score
Spose it will be like eating stale food that's been cooked. But you never do know until you try it! Personally I wouldn't bother, id'e just wait and get fresh grain but hey, thats me.

bum

Not entitled to an opinion
Reaction score
I dunno. He says it is crunchy. What bad stuff can time do apart from making it slack? (Serious question. And yeah, I know slackness is cause by moisture rather than time but you know what I mean.)

Rowy

Drinker of Kegs, Slayer of Fish & Ruiner of Good F
Reaction score
bum said:
I dunno. He says it is crunchy. What bad stuff can time do apart from making it slack? (Serious question. And yeah, I know slackness is cause by moisture rather than time but you know what I mean.)
No........sorry bum I don't know what your mean........................

bum

Reaction score
*you're mean

And I've already been told that today.

Rowy

Drinker of Kegs, Slayer of Fish & Ruiner of Good F
Reaction score
Just wanting clarification old bum....................

bum

Reaction score
Clarification on a question? I thought that's what I was seeking?

I agree that based on the initial post "bin it, buy more" is sound advice but he says he's had a chew and it is still crunchy (i.e. not slack). Not sure how crunchy milled grain can be as I've only ever eaten it pre-mill but I'm sure he's not making it up to impress us.

My question is: if old grain is not slack (or weevilled) then what other reason not to use it might there be?

TidalPete

BREWING BY THE BEACH
Reaction score
I would like to think we're all talking about base malt here??????

Any opinions about the prolonged usefulness of specialty malts appreciated?

Being a tight-arse I'm talking minimal amounts of crystal & upwards in a (otherwise) fresh malt recipe? Malts that already have little or no enzymatic power left in them.
How long would you keep them before tossing? Just asking. :lol:

Thefatdoghead

Reaction score
TidalPete said:
I would like to think we're all talking about base malt here??????

Any opinions about the prolonged usefulness of specialty malts appreciated?

Being a tight-arse I'm talking minimal amounts of crystal & upwards in a (otherwise) fresh malt recipe? Malts that already have little or no enzymatic power left in them.
How long would you keep them before tossing? Just asking. :lol:
I hope, a long time Pete! I got a dick load of Crystal. The other thing is, im learning that i quiet like beer with 1 or 2 malts in them with no crystal.

Latest posts