Can I ship home brew cornie kegs full of beer to the UK?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scmgre

Reaction score
Hi this will sound like a really dumb Question but i am moving to the UK next month for a few years and I have 7 kegs full of beer which I would like to take with me :) has anyone ever shipped full kegs to the UK is it possible? has anyone done it and has some advice? Or should I just stop dreaming and give it to my undeserving mates to feast on in glee.
P.S. If this is the wrong forum please direct me to the correct one.
Cheers G

If the answer is yes custom wise etc, I image it would be very, very costly due to weight

Also assuming yes, customs on the UK side would surely want to sample the contents to ensure it wasn't liquid drugs or explosives etc. This would depressurise the keg as I doubt they have picnic taps for the purpose. After another few weeks sitting around depressurised before they released them the beer would be cactus.

In the early 1980s I had a fantasy about shipping my XB Falcon to the UK and driving around there in front of awestruck Poms.

xb falcon.jpg

When it comes to overseas freight shipping, you're normally charged by volume rather than weight, if you're using a container, but I agree it would be outrageously expensive to transport them!

I'd give them to your mates!

I'm figuring out how to transport my brewery back to the UK in August, going to be a sad time!

In the early 1980s I had a fantasy about shipping my XB Falcon to the UK and driving around there in front of awestruck Poms.

Bribie, after being down under for a few years, I really want to import a Maloo back home, it'd go down a storm! (geddit?)

will sitting on a potentially hot ship for a few weeks not ruin it anyway? drink it before you go. cornies are fairly pricey in the uk, often £50 on ebay if they look decent so might be worth taking them with you but empty

If its sea freight the weight shouldn't matter too much more the volume but depressurization would be an issue I don't filter so it might carb up again but probably not.

When I moved house using a "professional" company the quote said x no# of kegs to be shipped full. Came down stairs and the tools were tipping my beer out before going into the container. This was only a Newcastle to Canberra move. So if you are to do it I would check first.

Gareth, I am sure that would be prohibited - so i am willing to "look after them" for you :D

Rurik, I feel your pain. Wasting beer is a crime.

Moving house seems to be a very hazardous time for beer. I threw my hands in the air and gave brewing away when some idiot threw about 300(full) stubbies out along with my fermenter and camping gear. I was incensed.

Gareth R Evans said:
moving to the UK next month for a few years and I have 7 kegs full of beer
Some people here would be working out how much more they need to brew to avoid buying any beer before they leave. :D

yep 5 weeks to go and foolishly I have 5 full kegs and 2 beers in the fermenter. so not nearly enough time :( I am having a party whole pig roast, to use up some beer this weekend I hope peeps are thirsty. will give the rest to my brew buddy i'll see if he will swap me his empty kegs for full ones :) I don't see him complaining :)

Gareth R Evans said:
yep 5 weeks to go and foolishly I have 5 full kegs and 2 beers in the fermenter. so not nearly enough time :( I am having a party whole pig roast, to use up some beer this weekend I hope peeps are thirsty. will give the rest to my brew buddy i'll see if he will swap me his empty kegs for full ones :) I don't see him complaining :)
A keg a week shouldn't be too hard. :chug:

I've shipped stuff UK-Aust and it goes on volume not weight.
It must be documented on box so it would likely get opened for inspection thus ruined.
India Pale Ale would be the go for an ocean voyage though.
I suspect they would be more worried by the excise duty than the security. Even if it's not sold it'd be hard to convince them to allow 100L of duty free grog into the EU.

The Shipping agent in Brisbane was a keen home brewer /distiller. I'd check with him but he's currently in PNG.

Have fun drinking it up!

Latest posts

Back