Can I Save My Brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardy

Reaction score
I dry hopped my IPA with 25grams of Cascade Hop Pellets and now after a week in secondary it tastes sickly sweet with very citrusy overtones.. not unlike twinings lemon and ginger tea.

The recipe:
black rock East IPA
1.5kg Pale LME morgans
300g dextrose
S-04 Safale yeast

Primary for 1 week, until SG was around 1.010, now after another week in 2ndary, SG is 1.008 (which is the lowest SG i have ever had).

As i said is taste sickly sweet, and the hops very citrusy... can i add bittering hops in secondary to improve the flavour?

any ideas to what i might be able to do? does this normally happen with cascade?

i think i should get away from ales, get myself a damn fridge so i can brew lager and pilseners!!!

cheers

What temp did you ferment it at? S-04 will produce excessive esters at temps above 21C (for my palate anyway). The recommended temp is a bit misleading. It should be 17-21, instead of 18-24.

As for the citrus flavours - they will mellow significantly over time. Let it age.

kept it mostly at the 20/21C mark, although had a 1 or 2 days where it hit 24C before i had a chance to throw a wet towel on it.

Just noticed you didn't add any bittering hops to balance the 1.5kg of unhopped malt. I've never used it, but you might want to try some of that liquid "iso-hop" stuff which is supposedly added after fermentation.

yep, i'm guessing that was my biggest problem. The one i've just done had 30g of POR pellets boiled with the wort for 1 hour... that was just perfect. that's why i was wondering if you could dry hop with POR (i guessed unlikely), but the iso-hop stuff could get me out of trouble.

thanks for your advice stratis :)

Someone did a thread on this site , they boiled up some bittering hops and LME to make 'iso-hop' type thing
Sorry can't find it , someone else will I am sure

Wardy

You can try this...boil 1 cup of dme with 2ltrs of water and 30gms of POR for at least 30mins.....Taste it to see if you need to add more POR or boil for longer...

Then cool and add to the wort...this should give you extra added bitterness.

Hope this helps

Dryhopping does not add bitterness

boil some POR etc in dilute wort for 30-60 minutes and add to secondary

Jovial Monk

ok, thanks JM and GMK, will boil up some LME with 30g of POR and see how it does. i will keep you posted.

thanks

I wonder what happened? I have the same situation with a pilsner. I think I will try to boil up some saaz for 60 min.

og was 1044 grav. now is 1012 after 9 days. I was thinking about adding the bittering to the rack.

Is that the thing to do?

daniel

Latest posts

Back