Can I Save It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedAu

Reaction score
Hi

I'm after some advice on my first extract brew which was aiming to be a stone and wood pacific ale clone.

I followed this recipe

1 can of of Coopers wheat extract
1 can of Coopers light malt extract
500g of dex to bump up the alcohol
Us05 yeast
Was done at around 18 for 8 days

I used the following hops
Australian Galaxy (13.0 % alpha) 20 g Loose Whole Hops used 20 Min From End
Australian Galaxy (13.0 % alpha) 20 g Loose Whole Hops used 10 Min From End
Australian Galaxy (13.0 % alpha) 20 g Loose Whole Hops used 5 Min From End
Australian Galaxy (13.0 % alpha) 30 g Loose Whole Hops used Dry-Hopped

I haven't done the dry hopping yet, and I had an extra 10gms left over which I added at 0 minutes

I tasted it prior to kegging when I checked the SG and there was a strong grassy taste. Now that I've chilled it down and carbed it the grassyness is still there but not as strong, and getting stronger oily/resin type flavours. Tastes okay when it first hit my lips, but the after taste sent the rest of the glass to water my hop plant.

I'm thinking the flavour is something the dry hopping won't hide?

Is it fixable? leave it aside for another month? maybe dilute it with another less hoppy batch?

I've just done a very similar recipe for the same beer a few days ago.
I'm surprised that your's was finished fermenting in 8 days ?
I'm only new (12 K&K's) but usually I expect a brew to take a good 15 to 28 days depending on the sugars. And your's had a fair amount of sugar for such a short ferment time. What was the SG and FG ?
I'll be interested in what the experts say.
Cheers,
Chuckie.

Hi

I'm after some advice on my first extract brew which was aiming to be a stone and wood pacific ale clone.

I followed this recipe

I haven't done the dry hopping yet, and I had an extra 10gms left over which I added at 0 minutes

I tasted it prior to kegging when I checked the SG and there was a strong grassy taste. Now that I've chilled it down and carbed it the grassyness is still there but not as strong, and getting stronger oily/resin type flavours. Tastes okay when it first hit my lips, but the after taste sent the rest of the glass to water my hop plant.

I'm thinking the flavour is something the dry hopping won't hide?

Is it fixable? leave it aside for another month? maybe dilute it with another less hoppy batch?

I've just done a very similar recipe for the same beer a few days ago.
I'm surprised that your's was finished fermenting in 8 days ?
I'm only new (12 K&K's) but usually I expect a brew to take a good 15 to 28 days depending on the sugars. And your's had a fair amount of sugar for such a short ferment time. What was the SG and FG ?
I'll be interested in what the experts say.
Cheers,
Chuckie.

From memory the OG was 1.045 and FG was around 1.008.
I got the yeast going before I pitched it, and then not much happened for two days. It was my first time using US05 so I didn't know to expect. Then I had 8 days of active fermentation. I let it sit for another five days before I kegged it.

thats alot of Galaxy.. it's a pretty strong hop and can be used in moderation for the best results (well, to my taste anyway)

my bet is it's the overdose on Galaxy.. you could try a centennial/caascade/.. something keg hop to try to balance it? or as you say blend it with a brew with c hops of some sort..

I certainly wouldnt ditch it until Id exhaused any other options.

:icon_cheers:

how long it been in keg for since finishing fermentation

Around 3 weeks.

It will probably take another month or so before I have all my kegs full, so I won't be rushing to tip it out yet.

Having not come across these flavours before in my brews, my best guess is too much of a good thing, but as I'd never done a boil I'm in new territory.

Your beer should become milder with time. Whether you like it or no is anyone's guess.

Many people have done that kind of recipe with Galaxy only once...

I love Galaxy, in small, late additions to compliment other fruity hops. In large does (esp early in the boil) it's nasty.

Put the beer somwhere cold and dark for a month or two. It'll fade.

Next time, use Citra. Or Simcoe. Or Amarillo.

I keep finding myself agreeing with Nick JD. Is that bad? :huh:

Galaxy in large amounts especially for bittering = resiny.

thats alot of Galaxy.. it's a pretty strong hop and can be used in moderation for the best results (well, to my taste anyway)

my bet is it's the overdose on Galaxy.. you could try a centennial/caascade/.. something keg hop to try to balance it? or as you say blend it with a brew with c hops of some sort..

I certainly wouldnt ditch it until Id exhaused any other options.

:icon_cheers:

Yeap a lot a hop. Time will help balance it a bit. May be best to MAN up and just drink it. May make other beers seem unhopped after though.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back