Can I Salvage A Low Alcohol, High Final Sg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claypot

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have put a Coopers Irish Stout and Canadian Blonde into the ferment fridge, after 7 days both are a lower than expected final S.G
Details are:

Irish Stout
21 litres
Brewmaster Irish Stout tin
Coopers Liquid Dark Malt 1.5 Kg
5 gm green bullet hops
Kit yeast
OG .042
Yeast pitched 25 deg
Ferment temp 18.5 deg
7 days in ferment, last 3 days constant SG @ .016
This gives me alc vol of 3.5% to low for me, could live with 4.5%

Cannadian Blonde
21 Litres
700 gm Coopers BE2
400 gm Coopers liquid light malt
3 Gm green bullet hops
Kit yeast
OG .037
yeast pitch 29 deg
ferment temp 18.5 deg
7 days in fermenter last 3 days SG .010
Alc vol 3.6 % I can live with this, but would of expected FG to be a bit lower lower.

I have now over the last day increased temp to 22 deg to try to get the last out of it.
Was thinking of adding some dextrose to the stout to bump up the alcohol, will this work? will I need more yeast or could I just stir it up?
I will keg these beers, although I am thinking of bulk priming the stout to keg to get the Alc vol up, but can't really afford the down time.
Do these SG readings look right, do you get a higher FG using malt?
Also does a force carbonated stout work out O.K
I think I've exceeded my question quota!
Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Clayton

Hey there, your OG readings do not look right (too low) going by what you put in.

Did you take the reading after mixing everything together well?

FG do not look to be too far off the mark

Edit = also not sure if you used Dried malt for the stout or Liquid as this will make a difference to my rough calculations, still if its liquid i would think the OG would have been a few point higher.

I would just keg it, drink it and try enjoy it for what it is.

Hey there, your OG readings do not look right (too low) going by what you put in.

Did you take the reading after mixing everything together well?

FG do not look to be too far off the mark

Edit = also not sure if you used Dried malt for the stout or Liquid as this will make a difference to my rough calculations, still if its liquid i would think the OG would have been a few point higher.

I would just keg it, drink it and try enjoy it for what it is.

Cheers Beer4u,
I used liquid malt I have edited post now. Good point I may not of mixed the wort in with the water enough.
My hydrometer is calabrated to 20 deg c so didn't take that into acccount as OG was 25 deg on the stout and 29 deg on the blonde not sure of the error amount though.

Yeah those few degrees make a difference
I get the stout at 1045 and the blonde at 1041

Latest posts

Back