Can I Get A Larger Out Of These Ingredients?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordo_t

Reaction score
G'day,

I bought double the ingredients intended for a Hefe and an APA recently. I have made a batch of each, but have since changed my mind and would like to see if I couldn't make a lager out of the left over ingredients instead, without having to buy anything more than a different yeast (and maybe use some rice solids). I'm still searching through the recipeDB on the forum to see if any of the grain bills match what I've got in stock, but thought no harm in asking here as well. I'm only about 4 AG brews in so i'm not too sure what ingredients can be substituted easily.

Want to make a fairly simple lager (21 -23L size batch), something fairly clean and crisp, not over the top hoppy. Currently using the BIAB method, generally using 5kg of grain for a single batch (so could come down a bit). Getting about 70 - 75% efficiency.

These are the ingredients I currently have:

Grain
3.5kg wheat Malt (Battet Burston)
2kg Pilser Malt (weyermann)
3.5kg Ale Malt (barrett burston)
1kg Munich I Malt (weyermann)

Hops
Hallertau Mittlefrueh Plugs x 9
Cascade Pellets 50grams
Nelson Sauvin 40grams

The Pilsner Malt looks like a goer but not sure if the Alt malt or wheat malt would work. I think the Cascade and Nelson Savin hops seem to go together pretty well, but a bit of the Hallertau could probably be used if it doesn't clash in a major way.

Reckon it could be done?

Cheers

Edit: Dammit, just noticed the typo

Leave the wheat malt for other beers. Use your Pils, 500 - 1000g of the Munich (to your liking) and fill the rest of your grist with Ale malt.
If your Mittelfrueh plugs are enough to bitter and aroma with, then use only these, otherwise use some NS for bittering and leave the plugs for aroma.

Should be what you're after if done well.

EDIT: was trying to go down Bradbrew's route but couldn't think of anything smart enough, so I stuck to real advice instead.

If you threw all of those ingredients into a 23L batch it would defiantly be a big beer, so you would have achieved a larger one...

QldKev

b]Large Pils[/b] (German Pilsner (Pils))

Original Gravity (OG): 1.045 (P): 11.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (P): 2.8
Alcohol (ABV): 4.42 %
Colour (SRM): 4.5 (EBC): 8.8
Bitterness (IBU): 25.7 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

50% Pilsner
25% Munich I
25% Wheat Malt Or just drop the wheat and use the ale malt , but I would think the wheatr would balance the munich.

1.4 g/L Hallertau Mittlefrueh (6.3% Alpha) @ 45 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 9 degree with lager yeast

For the record its lager not larger.

Cheers

b]Large Pils[/b] (German Pilsner (Pils))

Original Gravity (OG): 1.045 (P): 11.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (P): 2.8
Alcohol (ABV): 4.42 %
Colour (SRM): 4.5 (EBC): 8.8
Bitterness (IBU): 25.7 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

50% Pilsner
25% Munich I
25% Wheat Malt Or just drop the wheat and use the ale malt , but I would think the wheatr would balance the munich.

1.4 g/L Hallertau Mittlefrueh (6.3% Alpha) @ 45 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 9 degree with lager yeast

For the record its lager not larger.

Cheers

Haha.
Yep, only saw my spelling mistake once it was too late

We didn't let the opportunity slip :lol:

Depends on what type of a lager you are after. Brad's one looks good. Otherwise throw

all your Pils
100-200g Wheat
Top up with Ale malt to say 1.040
20IBU Hallertau 60mins

Then you could make a weizen next time to get rid of most the wheat.

ps. WELCOME TO THE FORUM :)

QldKev

Leave the wheat malt for other beers. Use your Pils, 500 - 1000g of the Munich (to your liking) and fill the rest of your grist with Ale malt.
If your Mittelfrueh plugs are enough to bitter and aroma with, then use only these, otherwise use some NS for bittering and leave the plugs for aroma.

Should be what you're after if done well.

EDIT: was trying to go down Bradbrew's route but couldn't think of anything smart enough, so I stuck to real advice instead.

Forgive the ignorance, What do you mean by 'if your Mittelfrueh plugs are enough to bitter and aroma with, then use these' ?
The packets says AA 2.6%,

Forgive the ignorance, What do you mean by 'if your Mittelfrueh plugs are enough to bitter and aroma with, then use these' ?

Do you chill or no chill?

Are you using any brewing software like beersmith or brew mate or the like?

What I meant is that if you calculate your bittering additions in the software to your desired bitterness and then still have 10-20 gram of the plugs left over yuo can use them at say 10 or 5 minutes as an aroma addition.

Also, from when are these plugs? If they're already a few years old they might not be as nice as an aroma addition, in which case it might be good to do a clean lager with only one addition at say 60 minutes. Give the hops a good rub and smell them, if you'd like that smell in your beer, put them in late.

There are a million different ways to make a good 'lager', the best way is to do a bit of research and then dive into it and go from there for future attempts.

Haven't got access to software atm so can't give you a specific recipe for your ingredients.

Currently no chilling, I've been religiously adding bittering hop additions at 40 mins instead of 60. only based on what i've read, not tried at 60 mins as a test yet.

Are you using any brewing software like beersmith or brew mate or the like?

What I meant is that if you calculate your bittering additions in the software to your desired bitterness and then still have 10-20 gram of the plugs left over yuo can use them at say 10 or 5 minutes as an aroma addition.

Also, from when are these plugs? If they're already a few years old they might not be as nice as an aroma addition, in which case it might be good to do a clean lager with only one addition at say 60 minutes. Give the hops a good rub and smell them, if you'd like that smell in your beer, put them in late.

There are a million different ways to make a good 'lager', the best way is to do a bit of research and then dive into it and go from there for future attempts.

Haven't got access to software atm so can't give you a specific recipe for your ingredients.

Ah I see, that makes sense. The plugs where on clearance, so could be a little old.

Going to go with the pilsner, munich and pale malt and see how it turns out. (might leave the Wheat for another brew afterwards).

Cheers for the tips

Ah I see, that makes sense. The plugs where on clearance, so could be a little old.

Going to go with the pilsner, munich and pale malt and see how it turns out. (might leave the Wheat for another brew afterwards).

Cheers for the tips

Good choice on the malts. And chuck the plugs in at 40 if that's what you have had success with, I've actually done the same just yesterday (and a few times a while back with great results).

Let us know how it turns out.

Back