Can I avoid....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stux said:
That was edit trickery ;)

Anyway, if you have a small boil pot. You can do Maxi-BIAB.

Or....full extract brews using partial boil/late extract addition.

Yup, but then you're still making homebrew from syrup and not what beer is made from :D

Too narrow minded.....it's just dehydrated wort....it's exactly what beer is made from! If you can't make great beer from it that's actually your failing...not the extract's!

carniebrew said:
So Jaypes, given Stux has dobbed you in as the BIAB spokesperson....how do you do BIAB with a partial boil?
Love this new edit feature, I cant even follow what the **** happened here

carniebrew said:
Too narrow minded.....it's just dehydrated wort....it's exactly what beer is made from! If you can't make great beer from it that's actually your failing...not the extract's!
And condensed milk is just dehydrated milk

And apple juice concentrate is just deydrated apple juice

Aye...and how good is condensed milk? Mmm...lemon meringue pie....go ahead and make me one of them with milk will you?

And while you're at it, pour some apple juice on my apple crumble....

And don't let your kids eat those fruit salad packs...the syrup might kill them......

Seriously Stux....why do you have to trash other people's methods? Can't you just enjoy your beer like I enjoy mine? Imagine how i'd go if I jumped into the all grain forum and started taking the piss out of blokes for spending thousands of dollars on HERMS systems and Braumeisters. Does it make you feel more of a man?

Only thing is carniebrew, you will join the dark side one day... And then wonder why it took you so long :)

That may well be true, but I won't be belting other brewers for using extract. Each to their own surely? Are we gonna start picking on blokes for using hop pellets instead of whole flowers? Or buying milled grain instead of milling it themselves? And what about those dry yeast nazi's! CAN YOU BELIEVE SOME BREWERS USE DEHYDRATED YEAST? :) Using US-05 is as bad as putting evaporated milk on your cornflakes!

See how ridiculous it sounds?

carniebrew said:
That may well be true, but I won't be belting other brewers for using extract.
Actually i think you will...... I bash on at my mates (they don't listen) but i still bang on about it. Then when at the HBS and ppl are reaching for the kits/ DME i start preachin'. They don't want to hear it, but like I, you will feel obligated to tell them.

You will morph into somewhat of a jehovah witness of A/G brewing. Plenty of ppl will tell you to F*ck off but then there will be the ones that will invite you in, drink all your beer then tell you to f*ck off. Your destiny is already in scripture, it is foreseen....

Cheers,
D80

carniebrew said:
That may well be true, but I won't be belting other brewers for using extract. Each to their own surely? Are we gonna start picking on blokes for using hop pellets instead of whole flowers? Or buying milled grain instead of milling it themselves? And what about those dry yeast nazi's! CAN YOU BELIEVE SOME BREWERS USE DEHYDRATED YEAST? :) Using US-05 is as bad as putting evaporated milk on your cornflakes!

I have read people say all of these things.

That's another thing you should do - read more.

And what about those dry yeast nazi's!
Nazi is what?

I agree with you though generally- I wish people would stop insisting AG is the holy grail, especially in kit/extract section. While my experience (and the way my brain works) suggests the closer you are to 'from scratch' ingredients, the better the potential, I also know that ingredients are no replacement for good process. Good process + good ingredients is another thing altogether but we all work out where we want to be in our own time and preaching never served the human race very well.

With that in mind Carnie and with all due respect, maybe leave off advising AG brewers on their process and ingredients for the time being and maybe confine your advice to things you have actual real world experience of (unless you have done extensive reading and if so, make the distinction clear).

I'm not referring to this thread, nor am I spoiling for a rumble. ,

To OP, mate, your problem seems to be maltodex. Just try the next one with dme & dex only.

Should dry out more.

Also, what sanitizer? If sodium perc from the kit, be sure to rinse well. Especially the bottles.
Better still, get starsan or something.

PS: hope things are OK in rockie.

manticle said:
With that in mind Carnie and with all due respect, maybe leave off advising AG brewers on their process and ingredients for the time being and maybe confine your advice to things you have actual real world experience of (unless you have done extensive reading and if so, make the distinction clear).
dasd
I understand and respect that....and I've never made any attempt to advise people on ways to perform AG brewing. I won't be commenting on best choice of base grain, what the lactic acid in acidulated malt does for your PH levels, best mash temperatures to avoid poor attenuation or the volume of sparge water you should use. But once the boil starts, there is little or no difference in the way we make beer. So I'd hope to be "allowed" to debate/discuss/advise based on my practical experience (as well as my reading) in these areas.

My contribution to the question asked about partial boils for BIAB obviously "crossed a line" somehow...but I wasn't trying to tell Robbie how to perform a partial boil BIAB, and I apologise if that's what it looked like...I was trying to compare the issue to the same problem faced by 'partial boilers' everywhere, regardless of ingredients. The general disgust held by some for those not brewing with all grain seems to rule out being a part of those discussions though...so point taken.

I can only hope for the same respect to be applied by AG brewers when people ask questions about kits and extracts. Instead of the usual flood of "twang x 2" and "stop using goop, move to BIAB" responses.

carniebrew said:
My contribution to the question asked about partial boils for BIAB obviously "crossed a line" somehow
Four times now! This was NOT the issue he asked about nor is it a valid alternative in the context in which the question was asked.
carniebrew said:
I can only hope for the same respect to be applied by AG brewers when people ask questions about kits and extracts.
In the same way you respected OP when you suggested the thing he tasted doesn't exist?

carniebrew said:
Aye...and how good is condensed milk? Mmm...lemon meringue pie....go ahead and make me one of them with milk will you?

And while you're at it, pour some apple juice on my apple crumble....

And don't let your kids eat those fruit salad packs...the syrup might kill them......

Seriously Stux....why do you have to trash other people's methods? Can't you just enjoy your beer like I enjoy mine? Imagine how i'd go if I jumped into the all grain forum and started taking the piss out of blokes for spending thousands of dollars on HERMS systems and Braumeisters. Does it make you feel more of a man?
I'm not trashing your methods. I'm trashing your assertion that extract is exactly the same as all grain wort since its just dehydrated and its exactly what beer is made from.

Now, if you can't tell the difference between real apple juice and reconstituted apple juice and milk and reconstituted condensed milk then I guess it's not fair to expect you to be able to tell the difference between fermented wort and fermented reconstituted wort.

Granted, I can't always tell definitively when it's heavily hopped, but I guess the same would apply to heavily spiced apple juice

bum said:
Four times now! This was NOT the issue he asked about nor is it a valid alternative in the context in which the question was asked.In the same way you respected OP when you suggested the thing he tasted doesn't exist?
You're a star on the multi-quotes....very impressive.

Only problem is you always miss everything that contradicts the woefully misguided point you're trying to make. Read my, I dunno, first three replies to Bax's post....then tell me I didn't show him any respect. IIRC, I asked him for more info about his ingredients, quizzed him about his water, then suggested the strange "mouthfeel" he had might be the use of maltodextrin. Yep...I really trashed the poor bloke. Dunno how he'll get over it. Maybe there's a hotline for blokes being offered too much assistance?

The only time I got my back up, and this whole sorry excuse for a blue started was when you weighed in with your usual "twang" comments, and denied any possibility that you can make kit brews without it...despite the fact that zillions of people have. Then you write off a whole community of successful kit brewers as "lucky bastards". That's respect?

I'm bored with this.....have one last multi quote word 'coz you won't get another out of me on it. I'm proud of my craft and sick of this shit.

carniebrew said:
Only problem is you always miss everything that contradicts the woefully misguided point you're trying to make. Read my, I dunno, first three replies to Bax's post....then tell me I didn't show him any respect.
This is hilarious. You tell me I wilfully ignore the true point then you go on to tell me I accused you of something that I clearly did not.

Bax remarked upon a very well-documented (but poorly understood) common...feature...of kit brews. He even very nearly intuited the exact term commonly used to describe it without even being aware of it - that is how hard he is tasting it. I went on to make an completely even-handed comment about this observed phenomena and you went on to tell him that this thing he tasted is a "mythical beast".

carniebrew said:
when you weighed in with your usual "twang" comments
My usual what?

You're a ******* moron, pal. I do not and have not ever treated kit brewing as anything but an entirely valid method.

carniebrew said:
and denied any possibility that you can make kit brews without it...despite the fact that zillions of people have.
Please tell me how this might relate to your statement that those dodeca-bajillions of people who've observed kit-twang have noted something that doesn't exist. You're not even suggesting that they're shit brewers - you said it is a "mythical beast".

carniebrew said:
Then you write off a whole community of successful kit brewers as "lucky bastards". That's respect?
The mentioning of the skill required to do so is not showing respect? You're the dumbest shit that was ever shat.

carniebrew said:
I'm bored with this.....have one last multi quote word 'coz you won't get another out of me on it.
I am sorry that addressing people's points directly and in a manner that is visually easy to follow bothers you so.

You should probably get that looked at though - it's not normal.

practicalfool said:
To OP, mate, your problem seems to be maltodex. Just try the next one with dme & dex only.

Should dry out more.

Also, what sanitizer? If sodium perc from the kit, be sure to rinse well. Especially the bottles.
Better still, get starsan or something.

PS: hope things are OK in rockie.
Cheers, I'm definitely going to stick to doing my own additions, that way I know 100% what I'm dropping in.

And I'm using starsan now, early christmas present was a bottle tree, sanitiser and pump action rinser - trying to streamline the process a bit.

And cheers, everythings pretty sweet in Rocky, another 50 odd cm's left to go with the river, but for the most part it's just the usual places that are flooded. Went out yesterday and did a fair bit of looking around with work. About mid thigh deep at the worst off houses in town. I think Stanwell and some of the smaller towns out that way got hit the worst.

Bax said:
Cheers, I'm definitely going to stick to doing my own additions, that way I know 100% what I'm dropping in.

And I'm using starsan now, early christmas present was a bottle tree, sanitiser and pump action rinser - trying to streamline the process a bit.

And cheers, everythings pretty sweet in Rocky, another 50 odd cm's left to go with the river, but for the most part it's just the usual places that are flooded. Went out yesterday and did a fair bit of looking around with work. About mid thigh deep at the worst off houses in town. I think Stanwell and some of the smaller towns out that way got hit the worst.

I bet you got into home brew to save money. :lol:

To the OP, mate, I think what you described in your first post may have been a taste that I had in my first few brews. It's hard to describe, but it was a sweeter type aftertaste that lingers and some couldn't taste it while others described it as the 'typical homebrew taste'. After talking to the guys from my local HBS, they recommended I changed my brew booster to one with less corn syrup in it, or malt extract rather than the brew booster I had used.

The result was that as soon as I put in the new booster or malt extract, the flavour disappeared, so did another batch with the original booster in it and bam, the taste was back. So all I can suggest is that the next time you buy ingredients, ask about a brew booster with less corn syrup in it, or, alternatively, just buy malt extract as it only adds a few bucks onto the overall cost of the brew.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back