Can I Add Dextrose A Dday Or So Later?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber Fluid

Beer Snob
Reaction score
In the fermenter last night went an AG (BIAB) brew I did on Saturday. I had the worst efficiency yet, 59% when usually I hit 70%. However, I also mashed this pretty high (70C) as I was in a big rush and this dropped to 68C after 80 minutes.

I tasted a sample and it tasted sweet and a weird after taste that, to me didn't seem off but may have something to do with such a high mash temp IDK.

Nevertheless, I was aiming for an OG of 1050/51 and ended up with 1042. Therefore, I am asking if there are any bad possibilities that could happen if I am to get 200ml boiling water and disolve 300-500g Dextrose, bring it to room temperature and add to the fermenter. I am think that apart from upping the OG it will also help thin the beer out a little. It has been in the fermenter now since about 9pm last night.

Recipe:
3.5kg JW Traditional Ale
1kg Munich
1kg Wheat
400g CaraMalt
20g Amarillo @ 10 min
30g Amarillo @ 5 min
US05 yeast

Any advice would be appreciative.
Thanks

No problems at all adding it to the fermenter a day or two afterwards. It is common practice on a lot of big beers.

QldKev

Thanks Kev. I didn't think it would be, I guess I just wanted confirmation.

Cheers :icon_chickcheers:

Back