Can Cooler (or Something Similar)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Reaction score
Hi,

After convincing myself that I could endure a Melbourne summer without brewing I've realised that I'm not going to make it and that I need to do a batch. The problem is that I live in a flat with no room for a dedicated brewing fridge.

I'm interested in getting one of the "can coolers" that have been mentioned in several other threads. I'm using a 30L fermenter from G&G which is a little bit taller than the standard Coopers fermenter.

Just wondering what people recommend?

Cheers,

Chris

If you can fit a can cooler,a bar fridge isnt much bigger.

I use the laundry tub....

Wet towels wrapped around it. Pour chilled water on towels to keep it cold.
If you have somewhere that doesn't matter about getting a bit damp, that is... in this case a laundry tub works well!

Hi,

After convincing myself that I could endure a Melbourne summer without brewing I've realised that I'm not going to make it and that I need to do a batch. The problem is that I live in a flat with no room for a dedicated brewing fridge.

I'm interested in getting one of the "can coolers" that have been mentioned in several other threads. I'm using a 30L fermenter from G&G which is a little bit taller than the standard Coopers fermenter.

Cheers,

Chris

I used one for years and still use it sometimes in winter (inside). With the wet towel and ice block combo i'd say go for it...and if you have consistently high temps then just choose yeasts wisely - wy1272 is full of flavour and I think it is a great yeast up to 21c and even at 22c in a less hoppy beer (for e.g.). Not ideal but certainly a great stop gap and you can keep brewing!!!!

I have found using the Laundry tub to be one of the best ways to keep your wort chilled without using a fridge.
The only negative to that is you have to lift the heavy fermenter in and out of the sink to rack, bottle etc. Unless you siphon out the top.
I have used a shallow tray to sit the fermenter on before. Then wrap it with wet towels and keep wet with chilled water every couple of days. It has kept my wort at Ale temps consistantly about 20 to 24 deg C. You will need a fridge to reach lagering temps though.

Unfortunately I don't have a laundry tub.

Where can I get one of these coolers?

I got mine from Kmart. Try all such stores. :icon_cheers:

Unfortunately I don't have a laundry tub.

Where can I get one of these coolers?
Ah you're screwed.

Another idea is to brew belgians ales like saisons. Some of those yeasts can handle summer temperatures.
I think i saw a thread for extract saisons (assuming that's what you're doing).
Currently drinking Tony's Bullshead Summer Saison (found on Recipe DB), and it's a brilliant summer beer.

+1 on the saisons....

works up to 35c...

I got mine from Bunnings. Was much cheaper from memory, but can't remember the exact cost. If you were in Perth, I'd give you both of mine as I no longer use them.

I got mine from bunnings a few years ago, they don't seem to have them anymore, may have to try the laundry tub.

100 can cooler. theres a few threads on all the stores that occationally stock them. anaconda usually does as does bunnings

Any chance someone could post a link to one of the coolers - I've looked online at Kmart and Bunnings and can't find them :-(

Any chance someone could post a link to one of the coolers - I've looked online at Kmart and Bunnings and can't find them :-(
i really hope by 'post a link' you dont mean this:
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...92;cooler\

and you mean this (a picture of one):
link

or if your meaning tell you where u can get one, look at the threads for the alterantive suggestions for stockists and ring around.

Hi,

Cheers,

Chris

The 'Can Coolers' you're talking about go for roughly $250-$500.
Although bigger, I would go for a KegKing fridge as you will get way more bang for your buck (@ around $400 - $600) and when you move you can set it up for kegs.
These are on castors so you can push it around to get it out of the way if you want.
I know space is tight, but if you're going to spend the $$, you may as well do it right the first time.

Craftbrewer

Ebay

KegKing

There's heaps of them around.

Cheers,

BF

Back