Camping And Electricity. A Question.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spork

Reaction score
Hi all.
Bought an old, home-made camper trailer.
It has a 240v socket (male) and 6 standard outlets.
Bought a RCD and plugged it in and tested all sockets working. They are.

Went to big green shed today, and noticed all caravan extension leads are 15 amp.
Bloke there told me all powered sites are 15 amp.

How can I connect my trailer (safely!) to a 15 amp outlet?
Won't be powering a stove or a 'fridge, so unlikely to draw more than (or even close to) 2400w.

Is that correct? All powered sites have 15amp (only) outlets?
Am I right in thinking all I need to do is get a 15amp lead and change the power in socket on my trailer to 15amp to fit it?
The rest of the wiring should be fine as long as the device is drawing <2400w, right?

10 amp plugs fit in a 15 amp socket, not the otherway around though

So it should be fine.

All the powered sites I have been to lately have been 10amp.

Phoned the caravan park to check - they said all their (and other's) sites are 15 amp. I guess if my 10 amp lead will fit (cheers mxd) it's all good though.

bradsbrew - are you certain they weren't 15 amp outlets? If mxd is right (I'm hoping so!) then you probably wouldn't notice when plugging in.

Thanks for the swift replies, looks like I can go and put the 10 amp socket back onto my trailer now and DWRHAHB. :)

Phoned the caravan park to check - they said all their (and other's) sites are 15 amp. I guess if my 10 amp lead will fit (cheers mxd) it's all good though.

bradsbrew - are you certain they weren't 15 amp outlets? If mxd is right (I'm hoping so!) then you probably wouldn't notice when plugging in.

Thanks for the swift replies, looks like I can go and put the 10 amp socket back onto my trailer now and DWRHAHB. :)

I think they mean they are 15A max.
They just have a standard plug ( 10A ) but have a max 15A capability I think.

Bit of a thread dig, but everywhere I went when I had my caravan had 15amp power points for caravans.

A 10amp male plug will fit into a 15amp socket; just not the other way around.

The basic visible difference is the earth pin is a little bit ... taller on a 15A plug.

So a 10A plug will plug into a 15A socket. but a 15A plug won't plug into a 10A socket.

This is a good thing.

So you can get a 15A extension cord as long as you only ever plan to plug it into 15A sockets.

this thread is confusing to me the only power we have when we go camping is lightening strikes :unsure:

MastersBrewery said:
this thread is confusing to me the only power we have when we go camping is lightening strikes :unsure:
Camp oven
Fire
and a swag is camping

QldKev said:
Bit of a thread dig, but everywhere I went when I had my caravan had 15amp power points for caravans.

A 10amp male plug will fit into a 15amp socket; just not the other way around.
Same here. What I did carry was a short cable with a 10A plug and a 15A socket. If you stop at friend's places they generally only have 10A outlets and the 15A plugs won't fit.

A 15A plug will fit into a 10A socket... just takes some persuading :ph34r:

Latest posts

Back