Camlocks - which way?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Village Idiot

Reaction score
What is the general consensus on which camlock should go where? Male on hose or on HLT/MT/Kettle outlet?

I sort of like the idea of the male on the hose????

Are stainless QD a better option?

Female end should go on the hose, just like your garden hoses.

I've got stainless qd's. Can't fault them, never seen a leak. But having never used camlocks I can't really compare.

As timmyf mentioned, think of your garden hose when doing your plumbing. The idea is the hose gets dragged around and you don't wan the male with the external part to get damaged.

I tried some brass QD on my first system. They were good for a year or so, then a couple got leaks. You can replace the seals. When I built my 3V I used camlocks, and will be staying with them. I got the s/s camlocks from T&S valves (no affiliation) and they ended up cheaper than I was paying at Bunnings for the Brass QD. Never had a camlock leak, but you can get replacement seals.

Yeah, as above.

Also if you put the female camlock on the ball valve on your pot you may not have enough room to fold back the arms to make a seal (ie. valve body might get in the way).

Try using this simple convention.
Make every inlet a female and every outlet a male. That goes for hoses, pumps tuns whatever and avoids ever getting caught out from couplings not mating together.
If a particular port needs to be both an inlet and an outlet use a female coupling on it, that way a simple male/male fitting will cross it over for you.
For instance maybe if you under let your mash tun through the same port as you then hook up to recirculate through?
Think of it like air compressor couplings or power cords, if you ever need to daisy chain hoses for extra length they'll go straight together.

Latest posts

Back