Camlocks This Time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwormm

Reaction score
This is most likely another stupid question.

Do camlock fittings seal when disconnected? ie are they stop flow or free flow? I guess I'm asking if they're like a standard garden hose fitting where water will come out the end of the hose at anytime, or like the stop fittings where something has to be inserterd/connected to the fitting to allow liquid to flow?

I think I like the concept of stop flow fittings on my ghetto rig (in design stages) but CHI Company stainless camlocks are cheaper than brass hose fittings!

cheers

Free flow - like garden hose fittings, just a whoooole lot better!

You'll need a valve or something similar to prevent the flow of water/wort

Oh and while we're at it...

Anyone with knowledge of the CHI camlocks, I'm assuming they're NPT thread?

So if I'm fitting up to BSP fittings I source locally it's just a matter of in 1/2 inch they're so close the thread tape solves any issues?

Yea keep to 1/2" fittings and you shouldn't have too many problems with leaks or anything between NPT and BSP, but once you start using other sizes, things start getting a little messy...

Free flow - like garden hose fittings, just a whoooole lot better!

You'll need a valve or something similar to prevent the flow of water/wort

for the win...

hose_connector_with_control_valve_1_2_600e869d.jpg

This is most likely another stupid question.

Do camlock fittings seal when disconnected? ie are they stop flow or free flow? I guess I'm asking if they're like a standard garden hose fitting where water will come out the end of the hose at anytime, or like the stop fittings where something has to be inserterd/connected to the fitting to allow liquid to flow?

I think I like the concept of stop flow fittings on my ghetto rig (in design stages) but CHI Company stainless camlocks are cheaper than brass hose fittings!

cheers

Non-drip quick connects do exist. Why don't homebrewers use them? Dunno. Used in dairies so breweries should be OK.

Have written to one company (CEJN) asking what they'd recommend for food grade use in brewery but no response yet. Their model 606 seems to be the one to use (is 316 stainless).

If 1/2 inch internal flow is needed may need to up the vessel fittings to 3/4 inch - but do you really need full 1/2 inch flow? (type 606 has 9/16 inch internal flow)

Possibly not cheap, but you can use the male directly on the vessel in place of a ball valve saving some cost (but then stuck with full flow).

Females also available as panel mount in some models.

Various types of internal o-ring available inc food grade.

Magical_Snap___2012.10.19_08.45___001.jpg

just another random question..does it matter where you mount the male or female of a camlock?

is it like ear piercings for a bloke? one side's cool the other side's gay? (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

I'm thinking males on all of the apparatus (kettle, pump, heat exchanger etc) and females on the hoses... anything wrong with this?

just another random question..does it matter where you mount the male or female of a camlock?

is it like ear piercings for a bloke? one side's cool the other side's gay? (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

I'm thinking males on all of the apparatus (kettle, pump, heat exchanger etc) and females on the hoses... anything wrong with this?

General practice is to put females on hoses, and put males on vessels, pumps etc.

(The males are vulnerable to damage from being dinged on the floor etc if you put them on hoses.)

General practice is to put females on hoses, and put males on vessels, pumps etc.

(The males are vulnerable to damage from being dinged on the floor etc if you put them on hoses.)
Normally the liquid comes from the male end and enters the female

Non-drip quick connects do exist. Why don't homebrewers use them? Dunno. Used in dairies so breweries should be OK.

I've seen these used for pnuematic applications - self contained breathing apparatus fittings.

They'd be a lot more difficult to clean than the camlocks.

Latest posts

Back