Camco 4500w element

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rude

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody else is using the 4500w camco element from electricbrewery site $40 US

Was going to use it in my 1v keggle plugged into 10A outlet with an Auberins EZboil set to 50%

Its the ss version & I could allways run a 20A circuit later on if desired

They don't list a 3600w one so thats why I was thinking the 4500w

What are everyones thoughts on this idea good or bad cheers in advanced

I use a Camco 4500w element through a SSV-R to downrate it. Works well. Got it from Amazon for US$20

I have a Camco 5500w element that I will be selling soon but its not SS. Works perfectly in a housing like the one from Brewhardware.com but not so well with a bolt.

takai said:
I use a Camco 4500w element through a SSV-R to downrate it. Works well. Got it from Amazon for US$20
Hey thanks have followed youre build mate great thread esque
Was it ss flange with the incoloy/800 sheath
Have been doing the research on them
Romar quoted $185 for a 2400w element but tells me his has the coating above on it which is better than the 304ss
plus 27w/sq" which indicates its ULWD I think
Romar bloke also said the five star element was only 90w/sq" so figure more density (scorching ? )
Might have to e-mail camco mob to find out their watt density ?????

Thanks nosco but dont understand the bolt bit sorry

rude said:
I was wondering if anybody else is using the 4500w camco element from electricbrewery site $40 US

Was going to use it in my 1v keggle plugged into 10A outlet with an Auberins EZboil set to 50%

Its the ss version & I could allways run a 20A circuit later on if desired

They don't list a 3600w one so thats why I was thinking the 4500w

What are everyones thoughts on this idea good or bad cheers in advanced
This won't work... at least not how you hoped it would. Or at least it might, but don't do it anyway.

The controller is pulsing its output to a SSR, meaning that the circuit is either on or off but not "halfway" in between. Specs state that it controls power by switching over 100 AC cycles, meaning you would be drawing 20A for a full second before being off for a second (I think... it's been a while since my elec eng days).

Hopefully this will trip the house fuse before Bad Things(TM) happen.

Yes, what mofox1 said.

This would be running a 20 amp element on a 10 amp circuit. Do NOT DO THIS.

Get an electrician to install a standards-compliant circuit for whatever current-draw and distance needed.

(Then you don't have to worry about burning your house down.)

If you only have a 10a circuit available why not stick with the 2400w element, I've seen it boil a keggle no worries. With a pid also you will have great control of mash temp. If you think you'll be upgrading in the future swap elements then.

As far as scorching wort, I use the 5500w in my recirculating keggle at full power (as needed) and I have never ever had a scorching incident.

mofox1 said:
This won't work... at least not how you hoped it would. Or at least it might, but don't do it anyway.

The controller is pulsing its output to a SSR, meaning that the circuit is either on or off but not "halfway" in between. Specs state that it controls power by switching over 100 AC cycles, meaning you would be drawing 20A for a full second before being off for a second (I think... it's been a while since my elec eng days).

Hopefully this will trip the house fuse before Bad Things(TM) happen.
Oh no worries should have read the EZboil specs a bit better thanks for clarifying

House would have been fine but definitely wont do it now 16A CB with 2.5mm cable (although de-rated due to insulation) surrounding it so illegal

Looks like its back to the 2400w element hunt

Thanks Mitch what brand of element do you have mate ?

Looks like Camco & Fivestar are about 90w/sq" where Romar is 30w/sq" but $185 seems steep

Probably wont need to control the boil with 2400w so might go with the Auberins

SYL-2352P (SSR output) instead of the EZboil

Anyone with more advice, experience with 1v build please ?

Mine is camco, my mate has the camco 2400 and it's great. He gets around 4.5l boil off over the hour and no scorching.

Back