Calling It / Computer People

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_HOME_BREW_WALLACE_

Professional Drunken Yahoo!
Reaction score
I currently plug my laptop into my tv via HDMI and run an external HDD through my laptop. Now, i am about to work away again I want to take my laptop with me and leave the External HDD at home. Is there a way i can build or purchase something on the cheap without going to the extent of buying another laptop or computer (dont have the space) ?

Cheers.

_wallace_

I'm completely lost, you want to take your laptop with you but not your external drive??

If this is the case just store what ever you need on your laptop for the time being.

I currently plug my laptop into my tv via HDMI and run an external HDD through my laptop. Now, i am about to work away again I want to take my laptop with me and leave the External HDD at home. Is there a way i can build or purchase something on the cheap without going to the extent of buying another laptop or computer (dont have the space) ?

Cheers.

_wallace_
Do mean one of these?
http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/computers-l...a-player/467774
Never needed one, so don't know anything about them.
Luckily our TV plays avi & mkv through the USB connection. Still trying to work out how to turn subtitles on/off there but that's where the lappy gets used.

Quite a few different ways to skin this cat.

There are dozens of stb type devices for hooking tvs up to networks and hds. WD make a few good ones.

The other approach is to go to XBMC and build your own essentially. I actually use a a few NAS drives (network attached) and a couple of AppleTv devices. Quick jailbreak and I have a tiny 720p XBMC +wifi device with hdmi out for about 120$. Pity there's no jailbreak for the new 1080p ones

Other alternatives are the small pcs to run XBMC on. Or really small sbcs like the Raspberry Pi

Have you got either an Xbox 360 or a PS3?

I'm completely lost, you want to take your laptop with you but not your external drive??

If this is the case just store what ever you need on your laptop for the time being.

Sorry, I didnt explain that bit properly. On the hard drive are heaps of cartoons and movies for the kids. I want to leave it home for the kids.

Have you got either an Xbox 360 or a PS3?

No, Hence why i am after something as an alternative.

petesbrew, I have tried one of these before, but our tv doesnt support it for some stupid reason (even through HDMI).

stux, I will look into this further. Be prepared for a PM or 2 off me though B)

Thanks for your help guys. Will let you know how i go!

Latest posts

Back