Calling All Sunshine Coast Ag Brewers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Batz said:
Anyone been into the HB shop in Gympie?

I know there is one there

Batz
[post="54440"][/post]​
I heard its small and very basic Batz.
Heard there is 1 or 2 good ones around Caboolture/Morayfield, thats about half way to brissy from you.

dicko said:
Oh, the joys of just walking into a HB shop on the way home from work and getting what you need for your next brew!

Cheers
[post="54380"][/post]​

Hi dicko,
even for us in a bigger city we can still have problems here or there. As I dont have a mill and probably will never get one as I dont have the space to store grain I exclusively use Grain and Grape(no affiliations). I think there is another HBS in Melbourne that will crush your grain but they are too far away. The G and G is over and hour round trip for me. And usually its full of customers so its usually another half an hour wait, even when I have pre ordered.
I have found the G and G to have the freshest ingredients. I purchased some Saaz from them a couple of weeks ago to brew a Pilsner. A day later I realised I didnt have enough. I went to another HBS which shall remain nameless :angry: :angry: because I was on that side of town for that morning.
The quality of their hops was nowhere near as fresh and more expensive to boot.
To top it off I am a few streets away from one of Australias biggest maltsters and they will not deal with you unless you are looking at purchasing a lot of tons.
Anyway , just my rant.

cheers
johnno

Snow said:
I get my grains from Brewers Choice Chapel Hill. They have no problems getting 25kg bags if you want them. I think JWM trad ale is around $57 per bag.

Cheers - Snow

Your information is spot-on Snow & sluggerdog, I have just enquired & their Stafford shop also sells JWM for $57.50 for 25 kg. It seems to be the closest Brisbane HBS to us Sunshine Coasters that sells grain. Haven't tried any around Cabulture yet.

I was picking up some gear from ESB Peakhurst yesterday and was chewing the fat with Mel. Got to talking about grain availability in Brisbane (not sure how it ended up there but anyway...) he said that he had just recently been shipping grain, fresh wort kits and white labs liquid yeast to the guy at Brewers Choice. Apparently he has 5 shops in and around Brisbane and was keen to get going with these "new" items.
I know that doesn't help the sunshine coasters (as Batz says 300km round trip) but given that he's keen to get into grain etc and if enough people order maybe he'd be happy to ship to you.

My 2c.

Cheers

$60 for 25kg Export Pilsner (JW guessing as Bill wasn't sure), from Stew's Homebrew. He advised that it takes around a week and he doesn't stock grain due to past exerience of it not moving very well, but he will take orders. I asked him to check with his supplier regarding a more comprehensive list. Maybe the local HB shops should get together, over a mash day with some keen potentual customers :).

I have no affliation etc... except that his shop is within walking distance and he has home delivered heavy loads (keg system).

nonicman said:
$60 for 25kg Export Pilsner (JW guessing as Bill wasn't sure), from Stew's Homebrew. He advised that it takes around a week and he doesn't stock grain due to past exerience of it not moving very well, but he will take orders. I asked him to check with his supplier regarding a more comprehensive list. Maybe the local HB shops should get together, over a mash day with some keen potentual customers :).

I have no affliation etc... except that his shop is within walking distance and he has home delivered heavy loads (keg system).
[post="54655"][/post]​

Great too hear that some HB shops are keen...but
$60.00 for JW pils malt is a bit much , I pay around that in Dampier and it's frieghted 1700km from Perth !
I am sure we can do better than that with 25kg bags

Batz

Batz said:
Great too hear that some HB shops are keen...but
$60.00 for JW pils malt is a bit much , I pay around that in Dampier and it's frieghted 1700km from Perth !
I am sure we can do better than that with 25kg bags

Batz
[post="54660"][/post]​

My present bag of JW EP cost $45 but that was from Sydney. If the chap from Caloundra Home Brewing and Bill got together in ordering I'm sure they could do a lot better, though $57 in Brisbane doesn't look promising. Wondering if a group purchase might be on the cards?

View attachment 2333

David from Brewer's Choice mailed me the other day with a list of grains available at all of their Brisbane outlets but with no prices included (see attachment). Here are a couple of extracts from his mail -------

"For the base grains, the cost for Australian Ale and Pils is $57.50. These are both Joe White. I do not have 25kg bags of this in stock at the moment (no demand), but it would also be available at the same price of $57.50 for you. You will need to give us a little lead time to ensure we can get it up here with our other orders".

"If you have others up there, introduce them, and get them to mention your name and we may be able to do a bit of a deal for you. If you all want to group together and do bulk orders, we can also do something a bit better price wise".

Until something can be arranged here at the Coast the Brewer's Choice at Stafford combined with bulk orders might be the cheapest & most convenient option.
:)

Norm is the man running Brewers Choice in Stafford.
He is an AG brewer himself so I'm sure he will be more than willing to help out getting bits and pieces.
He is a member of the Brisbane Brewing Club which I am also a member of so I am affiliated with him in that respect. However that said he's actually got some good brewing knowledge to back up his job (unlike alot of HB stores).
He hasn't been running the store for a long time yet so he is still in the process of sorting everything out.

Hoops

Hoops said:
Norm is the man running Brewers Choice in Stafford.
He is an AG brewer himself so I'm sure he will be more than willing to help out getting bits and pieces.
He is a member of the Brisbane Brewing Club which I am also a member of so I am affiliated with him in that respect. However that said he's actually got some good brewing knowledge to back up his job (unlike alot of HB stores).
He hasn't been running the store for a long time yet so he is still in the process of sorting everything out.

Hoops
[post="54841"][/post]​

Yep, Norms the man who has helped me out a fair bit as I am just starting out in the grains dept. I get my grains from him to buy only in the KG, not by the bag... yet.

The good thing about this stafford store, every time I go in there they seem to get something new. Go back 6 months ago all they had was kits + kilos.

Now the have the grains, kegs, air-up, liquid yeasts etc etc.

Good to see the new owners are making the change.

You can see such a big difference when the person running the store is passionate about brewing.

Hoops said:
You can see such a big difference when the person running the store is passionate about brewing.
[post="54844"][/post]​

I agree entirely. Although I have conducted all of my mail enquiries through David at Brewer's Choice, Norm has always been in the circuit.
I have only met Norm briefly on my one & only (so far) visits to the Stafford shop but found him very knowledgeable. Hoop's profile on Norm's experience is a sure bet that Norm will be a great help to most of us AG brewers, especially to a novice beginner to AG like me. :super:

Latest posts

Back