Calling All Sunshine Coast Ag Brewers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TidalPete

BREWING BY THE BEACH
Reaction score
Just started setting up for AG & doing partials in the meantime. I have had no luck in purchasing grains up here & am thinking of obtaining from Brisbane. I don't want to go all the way to Southside unless I have to. Where do you get your grains from? Are there any good places on Northside or Westside? I'm thinking Joe White and IMC here. Also, any links to suppliers of decent burners & any other AG gear in Brissie would be appreciated. Can anybody help here? :D :D

Tidalpete said:
Just started setting up for AG & doing partials in the meantime. I have had no luck in purchasing grains up here & am thinking of obtaining from Brisbane. I don't want to go all the way to Southside unless I have to. Where do you get your grains from? Are there any good places on Northside or Westside? I'm thinking Joe White and IMC here. Also, any links to suppliers of decent burners & any other AG gear in Brissie would be appreciated. Can anybody help here? :D :D
[post="54204"][/post]​

I spent a week looking at all the HBS in Brizzy, Th eonly one i found that will help out the grain brewer is In strathpine, Brewers Choice, Give him a ring Im sure he can help out.

Hi Tidealpete,
We have only moved up here since Jan (Alexandra Headline), so still have grain which the removalists brought up with them. I have had a chat with Bill from Stews Home Brew on Aerodrome Rd, Maroochydore (54432867). He is a very friendly, though he doesn't stock grain or liquid yeast (not much demand). Bill has said that he is willing to order in grain, though I don't think he realises I mean 25kg bags and I haven't dicussed details with him yet. Bill is also keen to come along for a brew day, so he may catch the bug :).

Cheers,
Jason

That bloke in Maroochydore has carried grain in the past... in fact I bought some from up there a couple of years back.
In brissy - talk to Quality homebrew in slacks creek, or Annerly home brew on Ipswich road.

dreamboat

Stafford - Brewers Choice now stocks grains, only in the last month or 2.

Phone: 07 3857 6877

275 Stafford Road
Stafford QLD 4053

I'll be living on the Sunshine coast in less than two months , someones going to stock grain then !!!

Even if it's me !! :beer:

Batz

While on the sunshine coast has anyone tried growing hops?

I would guess it will give a nice plant but may not head

Batz

Batz said:

Batz
[post="54228"][/post]​
Meminds me of my wife Batz.
She grows nice plants in the garden but wont head. :p :p :p
Looking foward to meeting you in a couple of month.
Tallgum.

Batz said:

Batz
[post="54228"][/post]​

I think you'll find that it's too humid here Batz. Anyway, my thanks to everybody on this thread for their help (especially dreamboat for his generous gesture). May the Beers be With You. :D

dreamboat said:
That bloke in Maroochydore has carried grain in the past...

He said it didn't it move very well and he ended up having to ditch too much. I thought he was spinning a yarn, well there you go he wasn't.

I get my grains from Brewers Choice Chapel Hill. They have no problems getting 25kg bags if you want them. I think JWM trad ale is around $57 per bag.

Cheers - Snow

i find it quiet amusing that a bloke such as batz or myself who are very familiar with the vagaries of remote locations and homebrew supplies can move to a fairly populated region of australia and still face the task of sourcing grain for our hobby.
i shake my head in disbelief that it can become just as hard.
closer to the source but just as far away.

cheers
big d

It can never be that difficult big d

I am sure I will find it a breeze compared with what we put up with

Batz

i certainly hope so batz.
can think of nothing worse than putting up with our remote problems that we overcome then going down south and getting the same probs.im sure numbers can overcome the hbs shops advercity to suppling grain.if not bulk orders can do wonders.

cheers
big d

Hi Batz,

It sounds to me like you will be starting a new business in semi retirement in the HB industry.
Making grain mills and other bits and pieces,

and

Stocking grains and other supplies for onselling to the ingredients starved AG'ers in south Queensland.

It's a bit like where I am.
I currently have 23 varieties of grain and 14 different hops in stock just because I can't buy it anywhere but Adelaide.
Unfortunately I have no one here to share a purchase, or on sell to, so I am limited to the quantities that I buy.

Oh, the joys of just walking into a HB shop on the way home from work and getting what you need for your next brew!

Cheers

I don't think there would be enough interest in me stocking grains Dicko

Sounds as if we can score them in Brizzy , it will be a 300km round trip for me , now that's better than 3500km at present or the 1200km for you.

I won't even guess at poor old big d's distance
Batz

city folk are spoiled !! :)

Batz,

300 km round trip? Where on Sunshine coast you moving to?

Well 140 km there 140 km back give or take a a few kms

Where? Not far from Pomona

Leaving 3 weeks from today !!!!!! :beer: :party:

Batz :beerbang:

nonicman said:
dreamboat said:
That bloke in Maroochydore has carried grain in the past...

He said it didn't it move very well and he ended up having to ditch too much. I thought he was spinning a yarn, well there you go he wasn't.
[post="54305"][/post]​
Just got back from Caloundra Home Brewing & explaining to Les the owner of the grain problem up here. Gave him a bit of grain info, numbers, etc. Was told that he would look into the possibility of taking grain orders & obtaining through ESB Brewing. I gather that this is where Brewer's Choice stores in Brisbane get their grain from (correct me if I'm wrong). I will get back to him in a weeks time. I Live in hope. :) :)

Anyone been into the HB shop in Gympie?

I know there is one there

Batz

Latest posts

Back