Call Me Crazy - I Just Made Beer Icecream

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpyPaul

Reaction score
Having my big Steak Challenge this weekend and decided to have a bit of fun with the daughters ice cream machine.

I while ago i made a Dark Jaffa Beer - the was terrible but it was great. Over time it is becoming a bit more drinkable. But as a result of too much cocoa it is very bitter.

I figured it would be ideal to experiment and make ice cream out of. It already has a fair amount of chocolate and the sugar in the ice cream recipe would take away the bitterness.

While its still churning in the machine it taste awesome.

For anyone thats interested here is the original beer recipe. As I said not terrible - but not great. An interesting experiment.

Coopers Dark Ale kit as a base

250g Black Patent malt

125g Chocolate Malt 600

125g Dark Crystal 270

(grains steeped in 1.5l at 65c for 30mins then rinsed with another 1.5l)

500g Dry Dark Malt

500g Dry Light Malt

300g Molasses

200g Cocoa dissolved in 1lt Hot water

Zest of 4 oranges

Hops

20g Styrian Goldings @ 15mins

20g Willamette @ 15 mins

20g Styrian Goldings @ 0mins

15g Willamette @ 0mins

Yeast

DANSTAR NOTTINGHAM

While its still churning in the machine it taste awesome.

For anyone thats interested here is the original beer recipe. As I said not terrible - but not great. An interesting experiment.
How about the ice cream recipe (at least you said that tastes good)? :)

Don't worry you're not that crazy. A few people have made stout ice cream before.

I have recently been informed that we have an ice cream maker at home (has been sitting in the back of the copboard for years apparently). My plan is to make beer ice cream from a doppelbock or Belgian strong dark ale at some point.

We have an ice cream maker. The missus recently bought Merc's book which has a beer ice cream recipe in it.

Trap for young players, make sure you cook off the alcohol or it might not set properly.

Back