Calibrating Fermenting Fridge Thermostat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
I have one of those external themostat and seem to be stuffing around trying to get it on temp ,the temp probe is in a bottle as of metho can anyone help?

Pumpy

Linz sorry cant load a pic my daughter put her camera software on this damn thing and I cant load my pics now ,I am working on it

Pumpy

Linz do you have to disconnect the fridge thermostat ? I thought the sensor was measuring the inside temp and switching the whole fridge on and off , I just looked at it it may be settling at 15 degrees C .

pumpy,

no need to disconnect the internal fridge thermostat - just set it to it's coldest setting. Least that's what I do with my fridge & external thermostat combo. works good now. you're exactly right - it just switches the fridge off & on as required.

Had to stuff around with it a bit initially - the temp on the external thermostat dial didn't seem to match the actual temp in the fridge.

Did a bit of trial & error for a week - Filled a fermenter with water & stuck a digital thermometer from Jaycar in it so I could check the temp from outside without openning the fridge. Then slightly turned the external thermostat dial every few days until I found what setting would keep 12 degrees was & which would keep 18 degrees. now I'm all set ;)

I also sticky taped some string to the roof of the fridge & use it to dangle the thermostat probe from so it's not touching anything, just hanging in the middle of the fridge. and try to get as much of the probe in the fridge as possible.

Jez

Jez you seem to be having more luck than me when I think it is Ok I leave it onight and it is on bloody zero ,the thermostat is from a water heater and goes from zero to 40C

Perhaps I should have got the Tobins TS-040S.

I know I have it wired it right and of course in the metho the reaction time is hours perhaps I should make msmaller adjustments ??

mAYBY IT S THE METHO BOTTLE SLOWING DOWN THE REACTION TIME ?

I blame the metho bottle.
First U move the dial.Then the bottle must come to a new equlibrium with the air temp. This will take longer than a probe in the air, due to the thermal mass of the metho.
Is there an absolute need for the metho? My probe dangles in the fridge and I usually place it on top of the fermentor. This has served me well.
You didn't mention if you had the fridge adjustment set to the lowest setting.
Cheers, Seth

Good Idea Seth I will try without the metho bottle that may give me an idea if the sensor is working better .

Thanks Pumpy I will report back

Seth my fridge was set to the lowest settings is that correct

Yep ditch the metho bottle as Seth says you are just introducing a delay into the system. Personally I have it sticky taped to one side of the chest freezer which works wel for me.

yep, to add another voice to the chorus - ditch the metho bottle.

set the thermostat probe free Pumpy!!

Jez

Progress report :::: its looking better without the metho bottle So Far

Trying to get it to stay around 12C

Pumpy

Pumpy,
Looks like you're on the right track now.
What's the first beer going to be?
The reason you turn the fridge right down is you want it to adjust quickly, then let the controller do its job.
Giddy up, mate

Seth out

Seth ,
A vienna Lager , I have never made a lager and looking forwards to it was going to start this Sunday buit may be a bit hot ,I never drink beer while I am brewing lest I forget to add something Pumpy

On the subject of fridge thermostats.... check out this product from RS Components.... with a temp sensor designed to wrap around a pipe (read fermenter) and a range from 6C to 90C.... flexible enough for a HLT also.
Cheap too!!! at well under thirty bucks, must be the best thermostat deal I have seen.
stock number 440-7988 at rs-components.com.au

dreamboat

the site only talks of it being used for heating. May be a problem. ANd there is also a temperature differential of +-3 which is 6 degrees total, pretty big compared to some others. But for the money, is great if it will do for cooling applications.

I need counciling what the #*$@ an I doing wrong with this fermenting fridge, there is gotta be a simpler way do I really neeeed this #*$@ ing
outside thermostatic controller .
I need counciling fast I am suicidal an could drink the neigbours K& K brew or worse still buy a pack of Toohey 's New

Please help I need better advise it cuts in but dont cut off or it dont cut in .
Distressed Pumpy

Pumpy

Pumpy,
I knows its difficult, but you gotta get the fridge right b4 U put the fermentor in there (with wort). U can put the fermentor in there if U want, with just water, and the temp changes won't be so fast.

Mate, what is the current prob? I'm sure it's not insurmountable.
My job is troubleshooting IT. How much harder can fridge troubleshooting be?

Save your sanity and reply soon.
Seth

Back