Calculating Ibu With Beer Smith

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rday

Reaction score
I'm planning an extract recipe for an IPA using Beer Smith and I'm having difficulties getting the IBU high enough using the following recipe:

3 kg light dry malt
0.5 kg crystal 20
0.5 kg carapils
0.5 kg caramunich
1 kg dextrose
35 g Southern Cross @ 60
20 g Southern Cross @ 20
10 g Southern Cross @ 10
10 g Southern Cross @ 0
20 g Styrian Goldings Dry hopped for 5 days

Batch volume: 20 L
Boil volume: 12 L

So what I am thinking is that if hold back 1 kg malt and 1 kg dextrose until the end, I'll have a boil OG of 1.040 and a volume of 12 and my IBU will be high enough (60+). Am I thinking about this correctly?

I'm planning an extract recipe for an IPA using Beer Smith and I'm having difficulties getting the IBU high enough using the following recipe:

3 kg light dry malt
0.5 kg crystal 20
0.5 kg carapils
0.5 kg caramunich
1 kg dextrose
35 g Southern Cross @ 60
20 g Southern Cross @ 20
10 g Southern Cross @ 10
10 g Southern Cross @ 0
20 g Styrian Goldings Dry hopped for 5 days

Batch volume: 20 L
Boil volume: 12 L

So what I am thinking is that if hold back 1 kg malt and 1 kg dextrose until the end, I'll have a boil OG of 1.040 and a volume of 12 and my IBU will be high enough (60+). Am I thinking about this correctly?
Enter all the ingredients in beersmith.....for the malt, enter it as 1 x2kg and 1x 1kg.

when all the ingredients are entered, double click on the dex, and when the properties come up, tick 'add after boil'. Do the same for the 1 kg of malt (and imo rename them to includee 'post boil', or similar, to distinguish in the recipe that it's added at the end)....the see how your utilisation is.

Change the recipe type from 'extract' to 'partial mash' (even though it isn't), and you can then click on the efficiency box, which will open a window and show you your Boil Gravity.......just chop and change the malt quantities between Boil, and 'add after boil' till your happy.

Enter all the ingredients in beersmith.....for the malt, enter it as 1 x2kg and 1x 1kg.

when all the ingredients are entered, double click on the dex, and when the properties come up, tick 'add after boil'. Do the same for the 1 kg of malt (and imo rename them to includee 'post boil', or similar, to distinguish in the recipe that it's added at the end)....the see how your utilisation is.

Change the recipe type from 'extract' to 'partial mash' (even though it isn't), and you can then click on the efficiency box, which will open a window and show you your Boil Gravity.......just chop and change the malt quantities between Boil, and 'add after boil' till your happy.

Awesome. Thanks for that. This is my first time using Beer Smith and I must say I'm pretty impressed! Beats writing it down on the back of an envelope!

Latest posts

Back