Calculating equivalent sugars

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael_aussie

Reaction score
How do I calculate equivalent sugars?

The kit I'm intending to use calls for 1kg of dextrose.

I'm planning to use some left over dark malt extract (900g).
How much white sugar (yes I know that is sacrilege) should I add to make it equivalent to 1kg of dextrose.

The kit I'm intending to make is a 1kg Morgan's Ginger Beer.

thank you for the reply.
What is Brewers Friend? .. and what the comparison between dark malt extract and dextrose?

Sugar (sucrose) is the benchmark against which other sugars (most extract in fact) is measured.
Dextrose is 91% as fermentable as sucrose (its 9% water) so 910g of sugar will give the same alcohol as would 1kg of dextrose.

It gets a bit more complex when you are talking about Malt Extract, sucrose and dextrose are both 100% fermentable so everything they add to the OG is fermented.
With malt extract (either Wort, DME or LME) its a bit more complex. Dry Malt Extract (DME) is pretty much moisture free, so 1kg would add about the same to the OG as would 1kg of sugar, but its less fermentable (around 63-35%) so you would get a higher FG. Liquid Malt Extract (LME) is around 20% water so 1kg only add the same to the OG as would 800g of sugar. Of that 800g again only 63-65% would be fermentable.

Personally I would skip using Dark DME in a ginger beer, use sugar an save the DDME for a dark beer.
Mark

Sugar (sucrose) is the benchmark against which other sugars (most extract in fact) is measured.
Dextrose is 91% as fermentable as sucrose (its 9% water) so 910g of sugar will give the same alcohol as would 1kg of dextrose.

It gets a bit more complex when you are talking about Malt Extract, sucrose and dextrose are both 100% fermentable so everything they add to the OG is fermented.
With malt extract (either Wort, DME or LME) its a bit more complex. Dry Malt Extract (DME) is pretty much moisture free, so 1kg would add about the same to the OG as would 1kg of sugar, but its less fermentable (around 63-35%) so you would get a higher FG. Liquid Malt Extract (LME) is around 20% water so 1kg only add the same to the OG as would 800g of sugar. Of that 800g again only 63-65% would be fermentable.

Personally I would skip using Dark DME in a ginger beer, use sugar an save the DDME for a dark beer.
Mark

I only ferment full worts now, so I'm not going to need the DME. It was so old it was solid. So I decided to use it, and take a punt with 500g of white sugar. Fingers crossed .. it smelt ok before pitching the yeast!!

Latest posts

Back