Calculating ABV of Cider with apple juice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diggles

Reaction score
Has anyone any guidance on calculating the ABV of a cider when you've added 4L of apple juice? My recipe called for :
1 tin of black rock
1 kg dextrose
4L of apple juice (no preservatives etc)
zest and juice of 2 limes

Measured OG is 1.060, so the question is how much fermentables does the apple juice add and the finished ABV?

Diggles

Sorry, should have been a bit clearer. I'm after some guideance as to calculate the anticipated ABV.

Diggles

There's lots of ABV calculators online. They mostly seem to all produce somewhat different results so have a google and see which one you like best. All you need to know is your OG and FG.

cider finishes at 0.998 if all goes well.

it should start at about 1.050-60 or so, you should've measured with a hydrometer before pitching yeast

http://pint.com.au/calculators/alcohol

will help you calculate it

(ps: i haven't verified this calculator)

I worked out that 4L of juice would add ~1% ABV assuming you did a 23L batch. I based this on the juice I recently used having an OG of 1.043 and assuming it finishes at 1.000.

If you did 23L batch, are you sure your OG was 1.060? A quick internet search shows blackrock cider + 1kg of dex coming in at between 1.042-1.044. The juice then adds about 1.008 (in 23L).

Rudi 101 said:
I worked out that 4L of juice would add ~1% ABV assuming you did a 23L batch. I based this on the juice I recently used having an OG of 1.043 and assuming it finishes at 1.000.

If you did 23L batch, are you sure your OG was 1.060? A quick internet search shows blackrock cider + 1kg of dex coming in at between 1.042-1.044. The juice then adds about 1.008 (in 23L).
Tripple checked the hydro and got 1.060 every time. Got the purest juicy I could get ($4/L). This means the juice in my 23 L batch added 1.016 point. Yeast is champagne yeast E-1118 ( not sre of the number, but is the Evellin one, hoping it will cope! Time will tell I suppose.

Diggles

Your Gravity got me wondering too, I just put down a Brigalow Cider, 1kg of Sugar and 4 litres of apple juice, its an 18 litre brew and my starting gravity was 1043??

Back