Calculated Og And Actual Og Variance

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmythehuman

Reaction score
I used the spreadsheet to make a strong dark amber type ale. Spreadsheet said i should have 1056, however after 3 days i tested and its 1090.

Is it possible that lots of stuff sunk to bottom and I am getting the denser stuff through the tap in my sample, or is it possible something has gone radically wrong?

I copied a recipe from somewhere, put it in the spreadsheet and adjusted slightly for less volume.

21l
3.0kg unhopped amber
.5kg dex
nelson and cascade hops
us05

I used the spreadsheet to make a strong dark amber type ale. Spreadsheet said i should have 1056, however after 3 days i tested and its 1090.

Is it possible that lots of stuff sunk to bottom and I am getting the denser stuff through the tap in my sample, or is it possible something has gone radically wrong?

I copied a recipe from somewhere, put it in the spreadsheet and adjusted slightly for less volume.

21l
3.0kg unhopped amber
.5kg dex
nelson and cascade hops
us05

I'm assuming that the amber malt was boiled with the hops? You may have to outlay how you went about it as this will determine how you reached that gravity. (boil volume etc). Also Im assuming you had taken more than one sample. You'll need to provide more info.

21l
3.0kg unhopped amber
.5kg dex
nelson and cascade hops
us05

Yes it is extremely likely, no way known you will get 1090 with those ingredients, unless you have a really small batch.

Take another sample noting if you get crap in the tube, if so tip out and try again....i assume you stirred it up really good initially. Probably unmixed extract in the tap.

I have only taken the one sample...i always forget to take one after everything goes in the fermenter.

I boiled 1 can for 60min in 7l and the other and the dex for the last 10-15min. I had dissolved and stirred it a lot i had thought, maybe i didn't do it enough and its settled at the bottom a bit or i need a bigger pot for a larger boil?

All the recipes seem to get you to use about half the malt from the start of the boil and the remainder closer to the end.

No real need to boil up all your extract it is already sterile from the producers. You only need to boil a portion of the malt if you are incorporating hops into your brew. I find dry malt extract easier to deal with for hop boils. As you have found out you need to stir the hell out of your mixture to avoid getting the denser stuff down the bottom around the tap. Some recommend chucking the first bit when taking hydrometer readings to get better accuracy. Personally I don't bother with the OG readings if using a known recipe lazy I know but I am not worried about ABV the important readings are the FG if you are bottling.

No real need to boil up all your extract it is already sterile from the producers. You only need to boil a portion of the malt if you are incorporating hops into your brew. I find dry malt extract easier to deal with for hop boils. As you have found out you need to stir the hell out of your mixture to avoid getting the denser stuff down the bottom around the tap. Some recommend chucking the first bit when taking hydrometer readings to get better accuracy. Personally I don't bother with the OG readings if using a known recipe lazy I know but I am not worried about ABV the important readings are the FG if you are bottling.

I agree. With 3 kilos of malt and another 500g of dex I'm sure if you haven't stirred like crazy some of this might of settled to the bottom. I'd be interpreted to see what you second sample reads and what your fg will turn out.

No real need to boil up all your extract it is already sterile from the producers. You only need to boil a portion of the malt if you are incorporating hops into your brew. I find dry malt extract easier to deal with for hop boils. ........

If the extract is packed in the factory, then it may be clean. If it has been repacked in the store then I would not trust it at all. The exception is canned syrup. It is clean because of how it is processed when canning. Dont believe me, do my sugar test.

Take one glass of water and add a bit of table sugar and stir it up. Take a second one and do the same thing and either use boiling water or put it in the microwave to heat it up. Cover both of them and leave them on the counter.

See what one turns cloudy first. The sugar is packaged in a factory just like the dry malt.

I boil all the malt I use when I brew. How long depends on what/how I am brewing. I also mix priming sugar with boiling water for the same reason. So if you add some type of sugar to your brew you may want to make sure it is clean before adding it to your brew.

Latest posts

Back