Calculate Yeast Requirements With Mr Malty & Yeast Calc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Yeast calc is good to work out your starter size and step ups when using new smack packs but if your using slurry you dont know how many cells you have.
Mr Malty is good for working out how many mls of slurry to use, but what if you have 100ml in four vials and only want to use one vial and make a starter?

So can you use both of them together like this.

Say Mr malty tells me for a given OG I need 100mls of yeast slurry and thats 163 billion cells. I have 4 x 25ml vials of yeast but only want to use 2.
So 163/2= approx 80 billion cells in 2 vials or 50ml of slurry.

So I then switch to yeast calc punch in the numbers and it says I need 164 billion cells. I enter 80 billion cells and a viability of 90% in the liquid yeast propeties field (to be safe) which gives me a cell count of 72 billion. A 1 litre starter will give me a cell count of 192 billion at finish which is what I require.

I know thats probably a simplified way of describing it but for bigger batches, older yeast slurry etc Im sure using them both would come in helpful.

yeastcalc.PNG

mr_malty.PNG

Shit..Somebody stole my idea and put it into a spreadsheet....LOL.

So the answer to my question is Yes that would be the way to do it...or...use the handy spreadsheet that puffer555 has created. Thanks Yob. Just making sure I understood it all.

Back