cake stand for mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellbent

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I have a Big W cheapo 19ltr s/s pot that I use for mashing.
It is fitted with a weldless thermometer that has a 2'' probe about 2'' or so up from the bottom of the pot so therefore I need to keep my BIAB Bag up a bit to clear the probe.
I have read a lot online where a Stainless Steel cake rack is recommended as the way to go, but today I seen these chrome plated 26cm round wire stands on EBay and even though it's not S/S surely with 4 S/S bolts as legs it would it be OK for keeping my mash bag off the bottom of the pot??? Would chrome plated be ok or is it best to look for the more expensive Stainless Steel one?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CAMP-OVEN-TRIVET-26cm-suits-most-9-quart-camp-ovens-bush-cooking-cooling-rack-/110891999018?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item19d1ad9f2a

Cheers :icon_chickcheers:

Al

hellbent said:
Hi Guys
I have a Big W cheapo 19ltr s/s pot that I use for mashing.
It is fitted with a weldless thermometer that has a 2'' probe about 2'' or so up from the bottom of the pot so therefore I need to keep my BIAB Bag up a bit to clear the probe.
I have read a lot online where a Stainless Steel cake rack is recommended as the way to go, but today I seen these chrome plated 26cm round wire stands on EBay and even though it's not S/S surely with 4 S/S bolts as legs it would it be OK for keeping my mash bag off the bottom of the pot??? Would chrome plated be ok or is it best to look for the more expensive Stainless Steel one?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CAMP-OVEN-TRIVET-26cm-suits-most-9-quart-camp-ovens-bush-cooking-cooling-rack-/110891999018?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item19d1ad9f2a

Cheers :icon_chickcheers:

Al

That would work, allowing the diameter is the correct size for the pot. I think the chrome would be ok, but depending on the $ difference the s/s will last many good years. In my 1V I'm running an aluminum pizza tray I've cut slots into and added legs.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:58471]

QldKev

I've got a fairly large cake tray - only problem with mine is the slits between the grill are a bit big and from time to time (Especially if I'm doing staged mashes) the bag gets inbetween the grills and is a bloody pain in the arse when I want to pull the bag out (it also hugely increases the risk of burning my bag on my element but someone I've not managed to yet).

So be careful of the huge gaps on the one you linked to.

Sounds like I need a pizza tray then. Thanks guys

How about one of these from Anaconda or these from BCF? Camp oven trivets.

127902.jpg

Thanks for that Pommiebloke. I will have a look at them next time I'm in town. Depends on sizes available.
Cheers

Back